CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Johnny Phan

Profile:
Post Workout Nutrition window? Myth or truth?

Ive experimented with both eating right after a WOD and eating about 2 hours after the fact. I'd usually take 10g BCAAs right after the workout and then eat my first real meal after the 2 hours.

Lately, Ive been feeling a bit more fatigued after my workouts and it carries into my next day's workout. I was wondering if I started eating some food right after the workout instead of takign BCAAs would help both recovery from fatigue and maintaining the weight loss I've been experiencing?
All in all, I mostly wanted to know if there is really a 30min time frame after working out where you body is primed for nutrient uptake, and should i take advantage of this?

*sidenote: I eat paleo 90% of the time unless Im eating out for a business or social events, and I follow the intermittent fasting protocol w/ an 8 hour eating window. Eating window usually starts about 2 hours after my workout since i workout so early in the mornings.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Post Workout Nutrition window? Myth or truth?

If you want to optimize your body's response to training then you want to consume carbs and protein (at a minimum) very quickly after training. Shakes are a convenient way to do so, but food is fine as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
If you want to optimize your body's response to training then you want to consume carbs and protein (at a minimum) very quickly after training. Shakes are a convenient way to do so, but food is fine as well.
Fat + carbs + protein is better....

At least in the studies with whole milk vs skim milk vs isocaloric skim milk.

---------------------

Do note however that PWO is maybe 2-3% max of the equation for nutrition..... the rest is eating right, eating enough, training/exercising with right stimulus, sleeping correctly, eliminating stress, etc.

Supplements and PWO are just that... more supplementary factors that may help you eke out a bit more out of your body
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Phan View Post
Ive experimented with both eating right after a WOD and eating about 2 hours after the fact. I'd usually take 10g BCAAs right after the workout and then eat my first real meal after the 2 hours.

Lately, Ive been feeling a bit more fatigued after my workouts and it carries into my next day's workout. I was wondering if I started eating some food right after the workout instead of takign BCAAs would help both recovery from fatigue and maintaining the weight loss I've been experiencing?
All in all, I mostly wanted to know if there is really a 30min time frame after working out where you body is primed for nutrient uptake, and should i take advantage of this?

*sidenote: I eat paleo 90% of the time unless Im eating out for a business or social events, and I follow the intermittent fasting protocol w/ an 8 hour eating window. Eating window usually starts about 2 hours after my workout since i workout so early in the mornings.
First, I have to say that you're wasting your money taking BCAA supplements because ~15% of any protein you eat is BCAA's so a normal diet that provides adequate protein (1-1.6gPRO/kg/d) will supply all the BCAA's you need.

I think this will answer your questions re. pre/post workout nutrition -

International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: Nutrient timing. (wfs)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
Liz Wolfe

Profile:

It's called non-insulin mediated glucose uptake, and it's a VERY real thing
Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Johnny Phan

Profile:

Thanks for the input guys! So far, my recovery is feeling a lot better after a WOD with the PWO meal. Usually half a sweetpotato with 2oz of chicken breast or tuna, and I have to say it helps a lot with the soreness that I tend to feel after a heavy lifting day.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Fat + carbs + protein is better....

At least in the studies with whole milk vs skim milk vs isocaloric skim milk.

---------------------

Do note however that PWO is maybe 2-3% max of the equation for nutrition..... the rest is eating right, eating enough, training/exercising with right stimulus, sleeping correctly, eliminating stress, etc.

Supplements and PWO are just that... more supplementary factors that may help you eke out a bit more out of your body
You will note I did say "at a minimum". I agree with you, hence why my product Opticen has just that. I also mentioned it can be done with food, but shakes are a convenient and more palatable way for many to do it.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Schuyler Humes

Profile:

Try some things out and see how you feel. Plenty of great CrossFitters wait a while after working out. If you want to gain mass though then definitely. Just like the rest of your diet fiddle around and see what overall continues to give you progress without adding on fat.