CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
Bill Jones

Profile:
Help with building on exercises

I am still having a great deal of difficulty with push ups and pull ups.

I started doing push ups nightly at home, but the problem I ran into was fatigue from doing them at home and at crossfit. It was a little much. Any suggestions on what I can do to strengeth and get better at pushups?

Pull ups are also difficult, we do them everyday for warm up, and I dont have a bar at home. Any exercises that would help strengthen for these?

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Kelsi Gilbert

Profile:
Re: Help with building on exercises

For the pullups we did this one move on the ground to help with our kip.. Im going to try to do my best to explain it..

So lay on your back with your arms at your side and with your knees bent, then bring your knees to your chest and then kick them up in the air (and pop that hip open) and land your feet back flat on the ground but your back is now up almost like you are going to start to do a bridge but your arms are still at your side and head/shoulders/upperback on the ground... does that make any sense? haha.. if anyone understands what im trying to explain and has a better way please post it! lol.. I look for a clip somewhere to post too..

For pushups I got stronger by doing the 100day pushup challenge, each day you do a pushup: first day 1 pushup, second day 2 pushups, third 3... all the way to the last day is 100. Another thing that helped me was doing pushups but in between every 5 or so holding at half way for like 30sec or a min and repeating it... I built up the strength in my arms.. maybe try that?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Matt Rexin

Profile:

How many pushups a day are you doing? Are you overtraining on these?

As for the pullups? Do you have access to a set of rings and/or anything you can do pullups on?

If you have something at home for pullups, try doing some negative pullups aka jumping pullups: jumping up to get in position, then slowing the descent.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Do push-ups in your warm up. I do 3 set of 30 push-ups (Inculded in my warm up) before I even start a WOD. Afterwards I will do one set of 50 or 60 just for fun. Weighted push-ups are also fun.

For pull-ups get a bar to put in your house and grease the groove. Everytime you walk by it crank out as many as you can.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Bill Jones

Profile:

I know exactly what you are trying to explain with laying on the back. I have started doing that this past week

Good idea on the push ups, I'll start that today! I had been doing 50 push ups each night, but I was just too sore and tired.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Bill, start splitting up the 50 or 100 pushups to throughout the day.

25 in the morn, 25 at night, 25 at lunch, 25 somewhere in the day. The number is arbitrary but just split them up.

Pullups, GTG and set up a door pullup bar or rings or start doing body rows on a thick dowel set on two chairs.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsi Gilbert View Post
For the pullups we did this one move on the ground to help with our kip.. Im going to try to do my best to explain it..

So lay on your back with your arms at your side and with your knees bent, then bring your knees to your chest and then kick them up in the air (and pop that hip open) and land your feet back flat on the ground but your back is now up almost like you are going to start to do a bridge but your arms are still at your side and head/shoulders/upperback on the ground... does that make any sense? haha.. if anyone understands what im trying to explain and has a better way please post it! lol.. I look for a clip somewhere to post too..
if you look at the kipping pullups demonstrations on the exercises and demos page, i think the "adrian shows kipping" one, it has him teaching his students how to do that exercise. hope its the right one
Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Kelsi Gilbert

Profile:

Oh good! Let us know if any of this stuff has helped!