CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-26-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Andrew Sidwell

Profile:
I am looking for other circuit training routines that are similar to crossfit but more, um, intense. Sounds strange, I know. Now, I am not criticizing crossfit as I am a strong advocate (helped me get through Ranger school) but I am curious about other training regimes similar to it. Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
Intensity is what you make it. You choose how intense a workout is. I say stick with the WOD, and make something about it more difficult, example: 3 rounds of 400m run, 21 kettlebell swings, 12 pull ups. If you're able to go all out the entire workout with no rest whatsoever and feel like you need more, try making it an 800 meter run, 21 kettlebell swings with the 32k (as opposed to the 24k), and do 34 pull ups. There are an infinite number of ways to make the Rxed WODs easier, or tougher, it's all about your creativity and what you're willing to put in.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

If pain is what you're after, high rep kettlebell snatches and clean and jerks, gymjones.com, 800m sprints, the 200m and 400m intermediate medley in swimming, and the 2k row on a C2 fit the bill.

Also, Bryce Lane does a lot of good stuff:
http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/it_all.htm
This is called the 20 minute thing, and it is pure intensity. Work up to 1.5 bodyweight back squats for 100 reps in 20 minutes, and you'll be pretty bad .

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/SimpCirc.html

http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/hinrg.html

Ross Enamait is definitely worth looking into:
http://www.rosstraining.com/

Oh, also you can do what Dan John calls litvis. Do a compound lift like clean and jerks, overhead squats, or snatches, for 3-8 reps, then drop the bar, and sprint between 50 and 400 meters, preferrably uphill.

You also can make regular crossfit workouts harder as Josh suggested.

Cindy is max rounds in 20 minutes of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats. Turn it into max rounds of 5 clapping pullups, 10 clap pushups, and 15 heels-clicking squats. Or do with regularly, but with a weighted vest. You could do Fran with squat clean thrusters and muscleups, if you were crazy.

If you haven't looked at the crossfit north standards yet, do so:
http://www.crossfitnorth.com/article..._Standards.pdf

Working towards these is plenty intense.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:18 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
You were bored with the WOD?!

Ok...
Old 08-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
Jim Glover

Profile:
I alter most of the WOD's since my goals aren't so much getting ultra fit but to get some serious strength endurance.

A workout a while back was 5 rounds for time of 21 light sumo deadlift highpulls and 12 handstand push ups so I subbed 175 lb sandbags for the lighter weight.

Instead of light weight thrusters I'll do heavy sandbag push presses and instead of a 400 meter run I'll do 200 or 100 meter sprints.

Have fun.

There are some crazy workouts at www.brutaltraining.com.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:27 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Define intensity - percentage of 1RM or percentage of MHR? Either way, it's obvious how you could tweak any workout to increase the intensity in either direction.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Shouldn't the effectiveness of the program alwasy be the goal? I can go outside and run hill sprints until pukie visits or have a heart attack, or do DB Swings until Rhabdo makes a visit, but it wouldn't be very effective at all. Crossfit is very high intensity (for most of us), but the intensity isn't the only thing that makes crossfit so effective. What makes Crossfit so effective is the Sprints, weightlifting, and Gymnastic movements all rolled into one workout done at a hard pace. Crossfit is a smart program designed for overall fitness, whereas the other programs may be more intense, I HIGHLY DOUBT that they are as effective as Crossfit in developing elite fitness.