CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
David Reynolds

Profile:
Problem with back extensions?

yeh did Micheal the other day, and on the second round of back extensions, i could barely do all 50. My lower back feels tight as hell, kinda like spasms, more so on my left lower side. Is this normal? Been working out for years, but am very new to deadlifts and back extensions, never did them until cf exercises. I was able to complete the entire workout but the extensions screwed my time up cause of the lower back tension
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Problem with back extensions?

Bingo, you're just not used to them.

I bet you felt wonderful the next day. A few weeks ago I thought it would be good to do back extensions, glute ham situps, and reverse hypers for 3 sets at the end of a deadlift work. Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
Adrian Cradock

Profile:

hi david
i sometimes get that what should help and i n other lifters have found v good is chin up bar hangs at the end of your session maybe do 4 0r 5 holding for 30-60 secs with rotations to each side also a light weight can also be used this should lessen stiffness in following days as it decompresses the spine seperating the discs and vertebrae which have been compressed with the exercises
Old 07-30-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
David Reynolds

Profile:

when you say decompress the spine, and pullup with rotations and weight, what exactly do you mean? If this exercise compresses the spine, is this a bad thing in the long run?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Adrian Cradock

Profile:

first of all its not a pull up but a hold which involves hanging which works by tractioning the body and stretching out all the joints which have just been worked really hard. compressing the vertebrae will happen to some extent in most heavy weighted exercise espec cleans snatches dealifts bench back ext etc. this is not a bad thing but if its being done all the time will lead to stiffness and soreness. to avoid this you can do the hanging exercise definitely works as ive had back problems n the past n do back exts with 20-30kg plate another good exercise is lumbar rolls on the ground where you rock back and over whever the back feels stiff
Old 08-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Dennis Marshall

Profile:

David,
Sounds to me like a possible deficiency in your technique. If you go in the Exercise & Demos section of the site, you will find there are essentially 3 versions of extension on the glute ham developer: 1) Back Extension 2) Hip Extension and 3) Back & Hip Extension. I typically have most people perform Hip Extensions, especially those that suffer from any type of low back issues. Based on what your saying, I would recommend taking a look at the video and make sure you are performing the Hip Extension version of the exercise.

During Hip Extension, the spine remains in a neutral position the entire time. All of the movement takes place at the hip joint and the hip extensors (glutes/hamstrings) are the primary movers. Most people lose their neutral spine posture in the bottom position of the movement and end up recruiting too much back extensors during the movement, hence increased muscular tension/tightness/fatigue in that area.

Hard to describe in writing, but have a look at the videos and make sure you are performing hip extension and see how it feels.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Joey Powell

Profile:

Agree with Dennis. Hip extension is the most valueable of back or hip extensions. Learn the hip extension on the roman chair or GHD and you will be quickly on your way to a better Squat/Deadlift.

Learn the "Reverse Hyperextension" (the opposite of the hip extension) and you will normally find your lower back issues melting away. If possible, find an actual "Reverse Hyper" machine and you will see HUGE crossover to your Squat/Deadlift numbers and lowerback health and rehab.

We have one and it would be the last thing I would give up in a going out of business sale.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
David Reynolds

Profile:

Thanks for all the advice, i will try the hip extensions, problem is for gluteham situps, don't have the machine or right equip, overseas, gym is somewhat limited. Any suggestions on what to use?