CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Cool Eh, this depresses me.

While i agree with most of what this article(from hps-online.com) states, what gets me down is the meat and fish and egg sections. 3 totally neccesary foods to me, yet it's so hard to find untainted produce, and when you can it's too high in price. I don't really know what to do, because what is the point of eating meat anymore if our governments just inject it with hormones and steroids or fish, if people just chuck all their s**t in there when they feel like it. Makes me so angry.

Sugar
Sugar is without question one of the most dangerous substances on the food market today. What we are talking about here is sucrose, the white crystalline sugar refined from cane or beet juice by stripping away all its vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, water, and other synergists.

White sugar is an industrially processed chemical not found in nature, and it is not fit for human consumption.

Fat
Medical myths about fats have steered millions of Western people into self-destructive dietary folly in recent years.

Natural unadulterated fats are not only highly nutritious, gram for gram they contain far more energy than any other type of food on earth, which makes them the most efficient fuel for essence-to-energy food alchemy.

Dairy
Cow's milk is meant for calves, and babies are meant to drink mother's milk until weaned from it.

Cow's milk has four times the protein and only half the carbohydrate content of human milk. Pasteurization destroys the natural enzyme in cow's milk required to digest its' heavy protein content.

This excess milk protein therefore putrefies in the human digestive tract, clogging the intestines with sticky sludge, some of which seeps back into the bloodstream.

As this putrid sludge accumulates from daily consumption of dairy products, the body forces some of it out through the skin (acne, blemishes) and lungs (catarrh), while the rest of it festers inside, forms mucus that breeds infections, causes allergic reactions, and stiffens joints with calcium deposits.

Eggs
Today, most commercially sold eggs come from chickens cooped up in small cages under bright lights and fed on dry feed laced with synthetic hormones and antibiotics. Such eggs do more damage than good to the human system and should be avoided.

Meat
Westerners consume a far greater percentage of their calories from meat then Orientals do, and it shows in the complexion, body, fat and body odor.

Meat is highly acidifying and warming (yang qualities), as well as putrefactive.

According to the tenets of traditional Chinese medicine, elderly people require more meat than the young or middle-aged because of its warming yang properties and concentrated nutrients, but only if their digestive systems are in proper order.

The biggest problem with meat in the Standard American Diet (SAD) is the pervasive contamination of US beef with antibiotics and steroid hormones.

Sea food
Deep-water ocean fish such as tuna and salmon are excellent sources of protein as well as fish oils that are rich in essential fatty acids called eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosaheyaenoic acid (DHA). EPA and DHA rank among nature's most effective blood thinners;

Owing to the pollution of lakes, rivers and streams throughout the world, freshwater fish is no longer such a good choice.

Shellfish and reef fish should also be avoided because the shallow sea beds they inhabit are polluted.

Grains
As a result of modern milling methods, which scrape away the nutrient-laden bran and germ and leave only the starchy white pith, most commercial grain foods are nutritionally naked. Only whole-grains provide whole-nutrition.

Grains can caused indigestion and flatulence if they are not thoroughly chewed and salivated in the mouth before swallowing.

That's because all carbohydrates must begin their digestive journey in the mouth, where an alkaline enzyme called ptyalin is secreted from salivary glands to initiate the breakdown of starches.

Beans
Beans compliment whole grains as plant sources of essential amino acids, which is why they are often served together in meatless meals.

Chick peas and millet, lentils and barley, rice and dal, corn bread and black-eyed peas, rice and kidney beans are common example of the grain-and-bean protein team.

Together they provide the full spectrum of essential amino acids required for human nutrition, usually in a proportion of one part beans to two parts grain.

Except for Soya beans, beans are warming, acidifying yang foods, like grains.

Though much touted as a 'whole protein' food, Soya beans and tofu are not very easy to digest, and they can also interfere with the absorption of zinc.

Fruits

Fruits are very easy to digest and metabolize, but only when eaten on an empty stomach.

In fact, most fruits go straight through the stomach into the duodenum for digestion, which means if you put fresh fruit on top of a big meal, it has to sit and wait in the top of the stomach until the other food is digested, during which delay bacteria attack the fruit and ferment it, gobbling up all the nutrients and leaving you with gas and metabolic wastes
Old 04-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Eh, this depresses me.

Kind of a pointless article... everything in it pretty much has a workaround. Eat grass fed beef; eat organic, free-range and cageless eggs (get them locally; even better); sugar has always been a bad thing, so nothing new there.

The portion on milk seemed a little crazy to me, but there is some truth to it. Pasteurized milk isn't as good as raw milk, but I haven't read anything to suggest that either is actually detrimental, provided that one isn't lactose-intolerant or something.

I thought their emphasis on "putrid sludge" was a funny little scare tactic.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

sounds like something out of animal rights activist manifesto to get the world to eat leafs.
Just dump it, like post above.. eat smarter. You leave in london town... the farmer's markets there are outstanding. buy your milk from the small guy, who actually loves his cows and sees them as an animal that helps him live.. not a profit margin, to quote jay" food with a face; not a bar code" buy your veggies that take the time to plant them and cultivate them.

You have access to clean food.. go find them .. talk to healthy market places...they will in turn turn you on to others.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo Hilbery View Post

I don't really know what to do,

Raise your own meat, grow your own veggies, if not possible, move.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
sounds like something out of animal rights activist manifesto to get the world to eat leafs.
Just dump it, like post above.. eat smarter. You leave in london town... the farmer's markets there are outstanding. buy your milk from the small guy, who actually loves his cows and sees them as an animal that helps him live.. not a profit margin, to quote jay" food with a face; not a bar code" buy your veggies that take the time to plant them and cultivate them.

You have access to clean food.. go find them .. talk to healthy market places...they will in turn turn you on to others.
Wow, if only it was as simple as that. The farmers markets are relativley good but still cost a packet even for the meat that isn't 100% grass fed/organic etc.

I'm trying to think what can be done so that one can go into a supermarket and, as a minimum, see non-hormone laden, well raised food at a reasonable price. Natural food shouldn't be only for the well-off. Go into any organic store and what they price their products at is extortionate to say the least.

Growing isn't an option, neither is moving. i'm going to investigate more :stir:
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Bonny Guang

Profile:

You can actually grow vegetables quite easily as long as you have a pot and soil. My grandma used to grow cabbage.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Growing veggies can be a really kick *** hobby. I've never gotten really into it, but it's rewarding to revel in tasty homegrown veggies that you've put work into growing, raising, and the ruthlessly devouring. You know how some people "Pimp their rides?" Try DIY and "Pimping your Garden"

You could bulk order your beef/meat from a local farm rather than at a farmer's market. There are a few local farms here that sell beef by the quarter. Find someone who'd be willing to split a quarter cow with you. Maybe go to the farm itself and make sure it's a place you like; talk to the farmers; etc. Might need to invest in a freezer, on that note, for all of the beef you'll be getting.

But it'd be cheaper, healthier, etc, etc.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

The only problem is when you have access to neither a farmer's market or a pot and soil (I'm literally only allowed a two inch pot for one plant... that's barely enough for a mini-bonzai tree). Still, I agree with Elliot. As best you can, eat healthy.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 04-21-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Tom C Lopez

Profile:

Quote:
I'm trying to think what can be done so that one can go into a supermarket and, as a minimum, see non-hormone laden, well raised food at a reasonable price.
the EU still forbids the use of hormones in food animals unless something has been snuk in while i was asleep..
Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Wow, if only it was as simple as that. The farmers markets are relativley good but still cost a packet even for the meat that isn't 100% grass fed/organic etc.

I'm trying to think what can be done so that one can go into a supermarket and, as a minimum, see non-hormone laden, well raised food at a reasonable price. Natural food shouldn't be only for the well-off. Go into any organic store and what they price their products at is extortionate to say the least.

Growing isn't an option, neither is moving. i'm going to investigate more :stir:
There's got to be someone in the entire country who grows grassfed beef on a ranch, and just sells it to individuals paying cash. Just look around the internet for farms, there's got to be one, and they'll likely ship it to you too.