CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #11
Ted Williams

Profile:
It depends.

I have been real interested in taking one of Ken Good's low light courses...and have tried (and use, to the best of my limited knowledge/practice) strobing techniques when using my light at work...its pretty obvious that having a big ol light coming out of your gun kind of tells people where you are...but if the people are blinded by it, well, it might not be a factor...thus, it depends.

I'm sure some of the other guys with more practical experience with the tactical applications can fill yah in. Honestly, unless you're using it for work (LE/Mil) why bother spending the money? I'd rather take a good practical training course (been itching for an ITTS course...).

Eugene, he might very well have a bad light. He's had it for a number of years, so I doubt he could get it warrantied...in all honesty, the X200 is just a much better light. I can't think of anyone in my office that uses a tac light of any kind. Hell, they'd have to carry their guns to use one...or there'd have to be an ankle holster that fits a gun with one...take your pick.

Ted
Old 01-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #12
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Wow...something on this site about which I actually have knowledge. :-)

The two items (tritium sights and a tac light) have two different missions. The Tritium allows you to pick up your sight picture in low/no light, but does nothing to illuminate the target or target area. That's what the tac light is for.

My Glock has Ashley AO sights on it. My other Glock had Trijicons. For combat-speed shooting, I can acquire and hit targets faster with the Ashley's than I could with the standard notch/blade Trijicons, even out to 25 yards. Beyond that, you should have a rifle. YMMV.

I use an Insight/Streamlight M3 frame/rail-mounted light. It doesn't have a laser..that's the M6. The M3 is strictly a flashlight that has momentary or constant on.

Leaving your light on while you search a structure is likely to get you killed. What's taught is to momentarily light the area being searched, then MOVE. Staying in the same spot, even with the light off, will also likely get you killed.

Some folks will use a hand-held tac light (Surefire, Streamlight, Digilight, Pentagon, etc.), since those offer some additional flexibility in carrying and use....you don't have to point a weapon or remove the light from the weapon if you need to use your gun-mounted light.

There are some shooting-stability issues with a separate light, since you have to hold it and try and attain a proper shooting grip while doing so. It can be done...takes practice. I haven't mastered it, so I don't do it as much as I should.

The other issue with a weapon-mounted light is holster selection. Other than Safariland and Blade-Tech, very few companies make holsters (esp. concealable holsters) that can accommodate a light. This then requires carrying the M3, etc., on a belt clip. Which then means that you have to take the time to unholster and attach the light. Can you do that in a hurry if need be?

Then the problem is one of RE-holstering, and having to remove the light. What if you have to reholster in a hurry to use your hands?

See the potential problems? IMO, if you're going to use/carry a weapon-mounted light, you should have a holster to accommodate it.

If you're carrying concealed, and don't have a holster that will accommodate the light, then I'd suggest going to a handheld light solution, because at least then you can re-holster w/o futzing.

I could go on about this, but I think this covers it.

Brad, if you have more questions, feel free to give me a ring.

TimW
Phoenix

Tim Weaver
President
Practical Tactical, LLC
Glendale, AZ
602-402-7385

(Message edited by TimW on January 17, 2006)
Old 01-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #13
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
After reading the title to this thread I can't stop singing AC/DC's verse in "Back in Black"

as far as my input. . . both.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Much appreciated, thank you.

Started shooting a few years ago, shelled out big bucks to train at a facility or two, and wanted to join the law enforcement reserves program down here. Just a few shifts each month, probably working at football games mostly (making that up). Turns out some dumb things I did in college would disqualify me.

Still dry fire practice with local SWAT friend (who now has Tyler's power rings in his garage!), and try to keep learning. Tons of respect and admiration for you law enforcement guys.

Thanks again,
Brad
Old 01-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #15
Wayne Sauve

Profile:
Just wanted to touch on what Ted and Tim said.

Light left on, will get you shot at. Strobbing is the best technique while moving. Pulsing at different timed intervals. This may cause temp light blind and confusion to someone in the area while giving you a mental picture of the surroundings.

While entering a room be sure to pulse. This will eliminate any silhouette you body creates

If you do get a tact light be sure to learn to use so it does not become a hazard itself.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 AM   #16
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I have to disagree with the strobbing thing. Movement, suprise, speed, violence of action. If your doing a dyamanic assault, white light all the way. If your doing a slow search...I still don't like strobbing. It's gives you a momentary picture, which could change when the light is off (kind of like I don't like the quick peek). So I strobe an area and observe a leg during one of my flashes, I flash again and the leg is gone! What now? Most rooms are lit up with my light (think an average house). This let's me search the whole room, some dude sticks a gun up...he gets shot. Once I take ground, I don't want to give it up, flashing to darkness equates to giving ground up IMO. Taught a swat class with strobbing guys, wacked the crap out of them with sims. We entered the room with white light saw him hiding behind a chair and he didn't get a shot off. Of course movement through portals eliminates the fatal funnel...we found the second guy through the door usually gets hit (providing the first guy doesn't do his job). Now standing in a field, looking for a sniper...I'd be strobbing my A$$ off!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:54 AM   #17
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Might as well ask while you guys are here..

Have you heard of Gabe Suarez? His classes are not super expensive, and they are taught within driving distance from my home.

Thanks again,
Brad

Old 01-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Brad,

People either love or hate Gabe. There's a whole backstory that is too long to repeat here. A good friend of mine, who is an adjunct instructor for another training company, has taken several of Gabe's classes and found them to be worth the money.

My buddy spends upwards of $3,000 or more on training per year. He's taken courses from a number of the "names" in training. As far as I know, he'd take another class from Gabe.

His thought was the Close-in Gunfighting course was worth it because you get to work a two-way range (using airsoft guns), so you get immediate feedback on your tactics, technique and all that stuff.

Caveat: I have not taken any courses from Gabe, so I am relying on my friend's opinion. However, I value his opinion a lot. Take it for what it's worth.

TimW
Phoenix
Old 01-18-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Backstory.. yes, I read a bit about that. I read something about the Frontsight/Gunsite fellows as well. Shifting ownership here, sketchy finances there, fanaticism, etc... but I could care less about politics and such. I went anyway and received some great coaching. My shooting sucked before hand, and now it just barely doesn't suck, but I now I know how to practice properly. Hurt the pocket book though.

Yes.. the airsoft/sumunitions courses look great. Thanks.

I hope your budy is reimbursed by his department!

I asked Pfizer, but that didn't see how it related to lab work. :-)
Old 01-18-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
Tim Weaver

Profile:
My buddy isn't an LEO or military...just a citizen like me. He does it because he loves to, and because it makes HIM a better trainer.