CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Ron Fielder

Profile:
I have been wanting a climbing rope for about a year now and have been looking everywhere to buy one. I thought about buying online but didn't want to pay $100 for 15' of rope.
I wasn't having any luck until today. I was out killing time and decided to stop but a ranch supply store to see if they might have some goodies that I could use.
Low and behold they had some 3/4 inch cotton and manila rope. I asked them if that was all they had? Turns out they had over 350' of 1inch in stock for .59 cents a foot.
I bought 20' for $12 and the swivels that I need to make it attachable are going to be another $10.
I know that a bigger diameter would be better for grip but for the price I think this a good start.
Now to find a place to hang it in the various gyms that I frequent. Hmmmmmm.....
People are going to think I am nuts bringing my own rope to climb...

Do you think the 1 inch is a good rope to climb or should I get a bigger one?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
I have been trying to climb my e-bay special rope...its like 1.25 - 1.5 (I have to break out the calipers). After a few trips, I might:

A. go back to towel pullups
B. use gloves

The rope is tight, seems slick, and it not really a big handful, so it taxes the grip a bit, not to mention I have it deployed in a 9' garage so I cannot use my feet if I want to climb more than 3 feet.

The thought of yarding up an even smaller diameter rope...well you can guess.

full disclosure: I never climbed a rope before :-)
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Michael Tong

Profile:
I just bought 1.5" manilla rope for $1.59/ft from an industrial/construction supply store. This store caters to road construction companies, commercial builders, utility companies, etc. Just an idea as I am sure every major city would have to have supply stores such as this. I haven't figued out a way to hang it without putting a huge metal thimble (I think they are called thimbles but don't quote me) on it, though.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
I shudder to think about climbing a rope less than 1.25 inches. I have a 1.5 outside which I like, as much as one can like ropes. The one in my basement is 1.25, the ebay special, and is tough on the grip. Anything less is really going to be a challenge. It's a good start and going to build huge grip strength but personally I would want a larger diameter.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Just a thought for you guys with limited overhead space:

Start on the floor and climb in an L-sit. It'll make your short rope seem a heck of a lot longer.

Best,

Jon
Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
David,
I am happy you feel the same way about the ebay rope. I thought I was total wimp, until a friend of my said he remembered ropes being a lot fatter and "squishy" or easier to grab.

Michael,
As for hanging a plain rope, I saw a picture of some guy that just tied a giant knot over a limb. A am not sure how difficult it is to braid a loop.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Peter Howarth

Profile:
I got a 2" manila rope with the proper eye attchment at the end bolted in.I got it from a local marine supply shop.
I've tied it off with strands of nylon rope onto a tree limb. That works well.
Cost me $100 but so worth it.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Christopher Brown

Profile:
Ron,
I think the 1" rope will work fine. I use a 1" manilla rope, hung from a 10' ceiling. I climb from the L-sit position. The smaller rope wears your forearms out really fast, but it is useable and affordable.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
Derek Simonds

Profile:
I too have the eBay rope. I don't have it hung anywhere high but I use it for l-sit p/u's and regular p/u's when I hang it over my p/u bar.

I also thought it was smaller in diameter than the ropes I remembered climbing. For 50 bucks I have been pretty happy with it. I think I finally figured out a way to hang it outside.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
Ron Fielder

Profile:
Thanks for the input.
I like the idea of getting a bigger rope from an industrial supply. I will hunt one down that way. The one I have is going to be great to start with.
Home gym is coming together, well car/dorm room gym is coming together. I guess i need to buy a house so I can get a squat rack.