CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Corey Duvall

Profile:
I have just gotten my parents to get started on Crossfit. They're both almost 50 so we're starting with some flexibility and balance on an air squat and low-weight push press. My father is a type-2 diabetic however. I don't feel he eats enough protein thruout the day and I would like to help him start implementing some zone eating. Are there any concerns I should be aware of for this dealing with a diabetic? Is there any advice from any diabetics who have had success?? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Use low GI carbs for your zone blocks.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Im curious about something diabetes related. I work with someone who has been diagnosed as a diabetic (has to to injections). He used to pound a 2 liter bottle of pepsi or iced tea EVERY DAY! Now, he has to eat differently but has taken up drinking a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi Jazz (sugar free). Isnt this just as bad? Is it only sugars that need to be watched as a diabetic and not sugar subs?
Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Bob Holman

Profile:
Hi Nick,

I'm a type I diabetic, 12 years, produce no insulin vs. a type II which are insulin resistant. I do drink diet soda and use nutrasweet with no changes to my glucose readings. In my mind, the bigger issue is all the crap that is added to the drinks - including caffeine. But being saddled with sweet cravings - I can satisfy the craving without nailing my glucose.

Revan
Old 04-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Sugar, glucose, starch, are all carbohydrates. When eaten they are digested (broken down) into glucose. Basically glucose is a building block of all other "complex" carbohydrates. These sugars (glucose) enter the blood. In order to get the glucose from the blood into other tissues (muscles, nerves, etc) it requires the hormone insulin. When the glucose is not needed by those tissues, the insulin cannot bind to the cell and help glucose enter the cell, thus leaving the blood stream. This occurs when you eat too many carbs for what your body needs at that time. When it happens, your blood-sugar stays elevated for long periods of time and this can have detrimental effects on the tissues in the body. Artificial sweeteners are chemicals that stimulate the same taste buds as sugar, but are not actually sugar. The bad part about artificial sweeteners is exactly that, they are artificial. The body does not know how to handle the chemicals in the body and they can cause problems, but not the same problems as high blood sugar.

From all that I know, I figured following the zone diet would be beneficial for a diabetic, but I was hoping for at least some response by others out there who are dealing with it and have had some success.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
Diagnosed Type II, controlling with nutrition and exercise. Not using Zone, might be similar to Zone but it's respectfully not Zone. More paleo approach in general. It addresses the problems with controlling blood sugars and my A1C test. I am actually happy now that I can eat a whole fuji apple now instead of just half.

It doesn't happen overnight. I had to start habit forming. Getting rid of bad habits and resetting myself. Increased sleep, multiple meals, not gorging on lots of starchy and processed carbs, eating more fruits and vegetables and preferrable fats rather than all those starchy and processed carbs. Let's not forget the increase in daily activity.

Doing those simple changes helped with the weight loss recommendations prescribed by my physician. My physician and nutritionist did raise an eyebrow after I reported to them what I did to lose the weight and get my numbers under strict control in less than 2 months.

So will Zone work for Type IIs? Zone can be adjusted, and the best approach is to monitor the BS readings before and after each meal. Then adjust foods to create a control. Establish the control and the habits surrounding the control. Then you'd be able to monitor BS levels less often, like down to 2-3 times a day or once a day.

Paleo would probably be pretty good in approach too.

We have 24 hrs each day, 8 of which we should be sleeping. What are we doing with the other 16 hrs? If we work 8 hrs a day that leaves us with 8 hrs for what? American Idol on Tivo with TV trays for those 8hrs? lol. Just joking.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
Leah Fisher

Profile:
As a type I for 11 years, I've seen the whole array of sugars. Recently, I started doing low carb to control my sugars in a hope to improve my health. It has been amazing how quickly and easily it works.

I don't follow the zone as that is too many carbs for me. I've found the more food I eat in general the more I have problems with sugars as the more food, the more sugar that creaps into my diet.

Salads, veggies, plenty of fat to make up calories, and the prescribed amound of protein. I would really suggest the paleo diet as it is fairly concentrated in low GI foods, but watch the fruit as most fruits can cause sugar spikes.

I would suggest taking a look at the following link as it is about Diabetes and Low carb diets. The Dr. who is talked about in this webpage is very strict on his ideas, but it does get results.
http://www.diabetes-book.com/

I hope this helped give you some information you were looking for.