CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Ben Faber

Profile:
Re: Grass fed beef in Syracuse?

#1 - Go to your farmers market.

#2 - Go to eatwild.com and search farms in New York. There are also farms outside of New York that will ship to you.

#3 - Go to a natural foods store or a Whole Foods.

#4 - Mail order through grasslandbeef.com
Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Artem Sivak

Profile:

Ben,

As I explained in my original post, I cannot do those things. Let me break it down for you.

#1 I can't go to the farmers market because this is Syracuse NY and everything is closed for the winter.

#2 I found farms near my area but the closest one is 50 minutes away. I work long hours and I'm sharing the freezer space with another person, so I cannot drive up there and stock up. Shipping is not an option as to make that financially feasibly, large quantities should be ordered. Once again, no space in the freezer.

#3 Don't have those here or at least I wasn't able to find one. Closest Whole Foods is in Ontario.

#4 Shipping is not an option as to make that financially feasibly, large quantities should be ordered. Once again, no space in the freezer.

Thank you for the suggestions nonetheless!

On another note,

I got some grassfed organic ground beef from my local Wegmans at $5 per lb and had some yesterday. It was pretty good and tasted right. I still prefer the beef I used to get from the public market in Rochester.

Last edited by Artem Sivak : 02-03-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
Don Wiss

Profile:

Many, many places will ship grass-finished meat. I list many on my PaleoFoodMall.com site. But, as you note, you need a freezer to make this feasible.

I found in the NYC area the Pathmarks have grass-fed beef tenderloin and lamb chops. The last I looked the beef, with a shopping card, was $4.88 a pound. The lamb much cheaper. Now they are not really marketing this as grass-fed, but the beef is from Australia and the "natural fed" lamb from NZ, and in those countries grass-fed is cheaper than feed lot feeding.

I stumbled on another source. Here is NYC the halal beef and lamb come from Australia and NZ. Apparently there are not many halal meat supplies in the US. Again this is not being marketed as grass-fed, but would be. Syracuse must have a Muslim community. Inquire.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
Don Traxler

Profile:

This does not help in any way, my apologies. But where in Rochester were you buying your meat? I'm from Dansville and have been looking for a quality place to buy meats.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
Artem Sivak

Profile:

@ Don #1
Hey thanks for the suggestion! I'll check it out! I didn't know that in Australia it's cheaper to grass feed then to feed lot. Very cool!

@ Don #2

I usually got my grassfed meat either at Lori's Natural Foods, or for cheaper at the Rochester Public Market. There is a guy there that shows up every Saturday and he sells very good grassfed pork,poultry, beef, eggs. His wife can also be found at the south wedge farmers market on thursdays. Let me know if I can be of more help!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #16
Della Jastrzab

Profile:

I am a farmer that raises certified organic 100% grass fed beef as well as pork, chicken, turkey and venison. I also make "drops" to centrally located areas with orders for our meats. I'm not exactly doing home deliveries, but will with large enough orders. Syracuse is one area I deliver to as well as Baldwinsville and a point a little east of NE Rochester. Here is a link to our website. We don't always have everything because we are a small farm and not a store. But we usually have at least some of everything on hand!
http://www.betterbeef4u.com
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You might be able to solve the freezer problem by renting a meat locker. That's deer hunting country, which means lots of people obtain large amounts of meat in one go and then need a place to store it for a while.

Alternatively, you could make friends with someone who has enough space for a big freezer, and then persuade them to do a combined order with you.

Katherine
Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #18
Dave Reagan

Profile:

Theres a grocery store in the valley south of the city called green hills, they sell grass fed beef and a bunch of other organic stuff. They are however very expensive there..