CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Wil Li

Profile:  
Double Unders and "Annie"

Ok I was thinking of doing the workout Annie today as I can get to the gym. But the double unders was harder than I had expected. Is there a way I can learn the double unders while doing the Annie or can I substitute the double under with singles for 40, 30, etc.?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: Double Unders and "Annie"

Practice. Tuck jumps. FAQ.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
William Jackson

Profile:

i went rogue on my programming a while back and pretty much used "annie" as my DU practice. i did her about three times in 2 weeks and after those 450 double unders and countless failures i had them down pretty good. i will say that IMO most of annie's metabolic effect came from sucking at double unders (huge tuck jumps every rep, failures that dont count as reps but waste energy). now that im better at them, she isnt all that bad of a lady
Old 05-29-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
Mat Frankel

Profile:

To get better at double unders...i know you don't want to hear it....do double unders! If you eventually want to do the workout as Rx'd you have to get the skill; go practice...now!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Wil Li

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Jackson View Post
i went rogue on my programming a while back and pretty much used "annie" as my DU practice. i did her about three times in 2 weeks and after those 450 double unders and countless failures i had them down pretty good. i will say that IMO most of annie's metabolic effect came from sucking at double unders (huge tuck jumps every rep, failures that dont count as reps but waste energy). now that im better at them, she isnt all that bad of a lady
How do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Practice. Tuck jumps. FAQ.
I read about it. Does this help with the double unders? I was watching a double unders video and it said that lifting the knees high to get the rope under twice is not efficient vs jumping in a straight line or something to that point. It was a crossfit video either on the site or on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Frankel View Post
To get better at double unders...i know you don't want to hear it....do double unders! If you eventually want to do the workout as Rx'd you have to get the skill; go practice...now!
I followed your advice and did some practice but I keep missing after the second turn my feet is already on the ground so the rope is in front of me. The only way I find I can do it is jumping high and lifting my knees up but after that I can't keep going which I have to start over and I don't think lifting the knee up high is the right way to do it, is it?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Learning DU's just takes a lot of practice. You're probably not going to learn by just doing DU's when the WOD calls for them. Try to spend about 5 minutes every day during your warmup practicing DUs. That should get you there in a few months.

There are several stages to mastery, but in general the principle is to bounce high, not jump or tuck high. Focus on your wrists more than your feet. Learn to do a single DU, then learn to do 2 in a row, and so forth. Be patient, the rhythm will gradually come to you.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Working up to consecutive double unders takes time--start by going in a single/single/double/single/single/double pattern, then work up to alternating singles and doubles, then eventually you'll be able to link doubles. On one of Buddy Lee's videos he teaches it as bounce-bounce-EXPLODE. You'll bounce slightly higher and turn your wrists faster than you do for a single; aside from that don't change your mechanics. Make sure you've got a decent rope that is capable of turning fast--preferably one with swivel bearings in the handle and a thin vinyl or metal rope.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Wil Li

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Working up to consecutive double unders takes time--start by going in a single/single/double/single/single/double pattern, then work up to alternating singles and doubles, then eventually you'll be able to link doubles. On one of Buddy Lee's videos he teaches it as bounce-bounce-EXPLODE. You'll bounce slightly higher and turn your wrists faster than you do for a single; aside from that don't change your mechanics. Make sure you've got a decent rope that is capable of turning fast--preferably one with swivel bearings in the handle and a thin vinyl or metal rope.
I saw one of Buddy Lee's double under videos under the demo section but it didn't really help me it just showed how it is down doesn't really explain it in detail. Anyway I like your idea. When you said singles do you mean a sing double under or a single turn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
Learning DU's just takes a lot of practice. You're probably not going to learn by just doing DU's when the WOD calls for them. Try to spend about 5 minutes every day during your warmup practicing DUs. That should get you there in a few months.

There are several stages to mastery, but in general the principle is to bounce high, not jump or tuck high. Focus on your wrists more than your feet. Learn to do a single DU, then learn to do 2 in a row, and so forth. Be patient, the rhythm will gradually come to you.

Thanks. I never thought of doing it as warm ups. That's be a great way to practice. Thanks.