CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
Laura Kurth

Profile:
Re: Critique needed...

Body fat scales are not really accurate, can you see your abs? I had mine taken with a caliper and apparently I am 16-17% I have upper abs visible but not lower.

Last time I checked I was 107#

But I have small frame so hard to compare to me, I mean I used to be closer to 100# before I became a 'crossfitter'.

I think 120 is a good weight, and probably on the low end of average for crossfit ladies. Maybe you don't need to lose any weight, just keep working at it and your body comp. will change slowly over time?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Margo Fullingim

Profile:

Laura - My abs are visible. Especially while working out. I'm actually not to concerned with my weight but more so with the BF%. I was asking about your weight as a comparison for the hunger issue. The fat I'm trying to lose cushions my fall when I land on my hind end . It's the first place I gain and the last place I lose. You might be right though, perhaps more patience is what I need. Never been good at that one!!!

Thanks for your input,
Margo
Old 07-17-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Margo, if you have visible abs then you are very likely lower than 19.5% body fat. Those Tanita things and at home measurements are pretty terrible for accuracy.

Do you want to decrease the body fat because of the number? Are you happy with your leanness otherwise? Do you feel the extra body fat is restricting your workouts? If you are OK performance-wise, and you are OK with how you look, then ignore the number. The number is not important, what is important is how you feel. If dropping calories and thus weight is going to make you constantly hungry and miserable, that is your body saying that is weight you don't need to drop.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
Margo Fullingim

Profile:

Hi Emily

You bring up some good points. The truth is honestly... I could care less about the numbers, it's the relentless reflection that I get from my mirrors that tell me I could lose a few. I have a pear shaped body or an hourglass shape with all the sand in the bottom. Over the last 1 1/2 years I've managed to dump some of that sand out but not all of it ;-)

I appreciate your input!!!
Margo
Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #15
Laura Kurth

Profile:

do you feel like your progress(getting lean) has stalled completely? It might be a good idea to take pictures perhaps 1x per month or something. It is hard to see small changes in ourselves.

It could be that you are still leaning out, but it is happening slowly therefore you don't notice.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #16
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo Fullingim View Post
Jay -

According to your fitday logs I'm eating roughly the same amount as you are and more in some cases. If you don't mind me asking - are you hungry? What is your height & weight. It's sounding like lowering my intake and giving myself a couple weeks to adjust to it are the answer.

Thanks again,
Margo

Margo;

I'm 55 yrs old, 5 9 1/2 and weigh about 170. I don't do near the Metcon you do, only train SS on M/W/F with some weird shi* on Saturday, Sunday-hot yoga. I also IF, by skipping breakfast. My weight moves down if I go below 1700, stable around 1800, add at 2K or more.

Hence with your higher activity level, I think 2K is good, but if you're still looking to drop a few, no choice then to cut cals.

My hunger pains are getting better as I come from the gym, shower off to work, pack lunch, drink some tea during the morning and try not to think about eating, but come 12, I am hungry.

Doubt if this helps, but post a pic on your refrig and if important enough, you'll get to where your going.

Good luck, feel free to PM anytime.

PS, cut the 1/2 Green bean crap out now, life is waayyyyyyyyyy to short.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

Margo,
I'm around your size, although slightly heavier: 5' 2", 58 kg (130ish lbs). I do zone and am on 13 blocks right now. A lot of the women who zone around here really don't eat enough in my opinion.

I had to give up CF for lifting, and now I'm lifting 5 days a week. I'm probably eating around 1700-2000 calories a day as of right now (but that may change with experimenting); before, I was at 12 blocks, eating 1400-1600 and I felt awful. I thought it was from lack of sleep, but I think it was because I wasn't getting enough. I'd show up to lifting exhausted and tired, with no real explanation. I couldn't sleep either. So anyway, if your performance suffers by dropping calories, then don't do it! You'll just make things worse by decreasing your output.

I'd try experimenting with diet, see if that helps.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
Margo Fullingim

Profile:

Laura - pictures are a good idea. I think I will do that - thanks for the tip.

Jay - I would never eat just 1/2 of a green bean - it was a log error ;-) You are correct though, life is WAY to short. Thanks for posting your personal stats. It helps me to be able to compare myself to others to ensure I'm where I should be.

Rachel - It could be that i've always been to aggressive on dropping calories to get results. If I decide to drop calories this time it will be a very gradual change. I also think that as soon as my pork rind storage is depleted I might not replenish that... there are a couple other things I can experiement with too. I'm finding that the more SS I do that my weight is slowly creeping up, which mind you is fine with me.

Thanks all for the great advice,

Margo