CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #231
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
The sale is a legal process, her trusting him has nothing to do with it.
A lawyer once told me that you should never sign a contract with someone you don't trust. Sure, if they break the contract you can sue, but win or lose it will still cost you huge amounts of time and legal fees.

And of course different sale terms can make the trust issue more or less important. Cash up front from a third party has clear advantages over self-financing by an untrustworthy buyer.

Katherine
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #232
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Joey- You were warned once already to keep on topic and away from personal attacks, yet you ignored the warning.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #233
Josh Cook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
I am not happy with shenanigans.
I am not happy with manipulation.
I am not happy with lack of professionalism.

I do not appreciate divorce drama being played out in such a manner that it raises near panic in people. There was a better, more appropriate manner to handle this.

If they make a move that impacts my business, I will deal with that when it happens. Having "CrossFit" on my tshirts doesn't change what I do or don't do in my gym.

But I believe that speculation about one party's motive over the other's is ridiculous. It's counter productive and revealing of overall character. I've been divorced and smeared nine ways to Sunday. I don't want to do that to anyone.

If the buy out happens and it negatively impacts my business, I'll take action. If it happens my business isn't affected? *shrug*
By the same token - should Mr. Glassman retain control and THAT negatively impact my business, I'll take action. Neither one f them are saints.

Then again, I have to wonder - if the law/lawyers/legalities are as on "our" side as we've been told - why the call to arms? As I said, I dislike manipulation and have an instinctive distrust of people who practice such behavior.
Spot On.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #234
James W Moore

Profile:

I find it interesting that none of the original CrossFitters have offered an opinion either way...Jeff and Mikki, Greg A., Nicole, no one unless I missed it. Perhaps we should all follow suit.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #235
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I've been a part of CrossFit since 2004 and FWIW have met both Coach and Lauren, trained at the old CFHQ, and now make my full time livelihood from CrossFit.

Regardless of the interpersonal conflicts, I can't see any way that having a venture capital firm owning 50% of CrossFit would be beneficial to the amazing community that has grown and is still growing at an astronomical pace. VC capital expects a high rate of return. Usually 20% is the minimum and 30% is expected. It would take some major shake-ups to the CrossFit model to make this happen. Rate of return will replace changing people's lives.

5 years ago at the Affiliate gathering I remember Coach saying that CrossFit was going to change the whole fitness world. That globo-gyms would be taking notice and that we were going to change the whole fitness paradigm. I'll admit, I thought his vision was a little crazy! And now it's happening. Everything he described and more.

So long story short, I support Coach, I trust his vision, and I trust him when he says that he has the best interests of the Affiliate community in his crosshairs. I don't trust a venture capital firm the same way regardless of how nice their website makes them out to be.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #236
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
My position? I don't have one, really. I don't own an affiliate. I don't care whether the one I train at has a Crossfit sign over the door or not, and trust the owner to make the decisions that work for his business and the way he wants to train people.

Katherine
Exactly.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #237
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It's also not beyond the realm of possibility that he is balking at the suggestion that he should pay *her* for clear ownership of *his* company. That happens in divorces, too.

Katherine
That certainly is a possibility, but not a highly probable one as I don't think the man is a fool and the reality of the situation.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #238
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
I've been a part of CrossFit since 2004 and FWIW have met both Coach and Lauren, trained at the old CFHQ, and now make my full time livelihood from CrossFit.

Regardless of the interpersonal conflicts, I can't see any way that having a venture capital firm owning 50% of CrossFit would be beneficial to the amazing community that has grown and is still growing at an astronomical pace. VC capital expects a high rate of return. Usually 20% is the minimum and 30% is expected. It would take some major shake-ups to the CrossFit model to make this happen. Rate of return will replace changing people's lives.

5 years ago at the Affiliate gathering I remember Coach saying that CrossFit was going to change the whole fitness world. That globo-gyms would be taking notice and that we were going to change the whole fitness paradigm. I'll admit, I thought his vision was a little crazy! And now it's happening. Everything he described and more.

So long story short, I support Coach, I trust his vision, and I trust him when he says that he has the best interests of the Affiliate community in his crosshairs. I don't trust a venture capital firm the same way regardless of how nice their website makes them out to be.
Exactly! I think the overriding point in this whole thing is that CrossFit has been an incredible success thus far based upon Mr. Glassman's vision and the execution of said vision. Sure, others have played a part, and perhaps Mrs. Glassman has played a part, but all evidence points to this being Mr. Glassman's baby.

If you are a successful affiliate you owe a LARGE part of that success to Mr. Glassman and his team. I think some affiliates may lose sight of that. A large percentage of your members have come to you because of CrossFit, not YOU. You might keep them there and be a great trainer, but in the end the culture and phenomenon of CrossFit is what has created this wonderful business opportunity for you.

If a venture capital firm, private equity, whatever, which is not of Mr. Glassman's choosing enters into the equation major changes will occur and things will never be the same.

Why change something that is wildly successful? If you want anything other than Mr. Glassman and his crew to continue running CrossFit then I think you should drop your affiliation with CrossFit, totally, and see where you are in a couple of years. You might just find it isn't what you or your ego expect.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #239
Kathy Glassman

Profile:

I am 100% committed to protecting and preserving the integrity of the CrossFit Community from profiteers like Anthos Capital. Whatever it takes!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #240
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

That's pretty much it Chris...CrossFit is why I own a gym now. I got my degree in Physics and went on to be an Engineer in the Navy. Gym ownership was nowhere in my peripheral, even being a trainer was not even a thought for me, why would it be?

Bottom line Crossfit changed all that. Whether folks love it or hate it, or love either Glassman or hate either one, doesn't really matter that much to me. I have this opportunity because one or both of them branded this thing. And even though many people had to do things along the way for my particular story, none of it would have been possible without Coach.

I don't see how a VC firm coming in helps...if CFHQ needs more business minds for better organization, there's PLENTY of GREAT business minded folks already in the community who could step up. If CFHQ needs organizing throw some $$ at John Burch or someone like that, either to take a position or to give an honest assessment of how it is running.

Besides that, hasn't the CF business grown every year now for quite some time?