CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Craig Massey

Profile:
Re: horse stall mats - transportation?

A couple of years back someone recommended taking a few pairs of vice grips to give you something to grab them with. A large pair of pliers would probably work too.
I've never wrangled them, but it made sense that a lot of the struggle would be simply the difficulty getting a good hold on the suckers.

And if you're going to roll them I'd suggest strapping the rolled units up tight. Wrestling rolled up springy flat surfaces in and out of confined spaces while they're free to unroll is not fun.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
David Tybor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardi Shero View Post
Actually the closest to Chicago is St. John, Indiana I believe.
Cool. If you are on the South Side, you might find some places near Matteson/Monee/Peotone/Manteno, just a quick shot down 57. Some pretty barns down there.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Andrew Timothy

Profile:

Not going to work. I would suggest renting a truck or asking to borrow a pick up truck for a friend.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Greg Light

Profile:

I guess I am in the minority, but I had no problem getting 4 in the back of a mercury mariner with only help from my wife. This was with a car seat in the back seat too, so they could only be in the cargo area.....This was in the summer though, so they were a bit more flexible than in this weather.

I kind of half rolled, half folded them and stacked them on top of each other.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM   #15
Ardi Shero

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Timothy View Post
Not going to work. I would suggest renting a truck or asking to borrow a pick up truck for a friend.
Speaking from experience?! Read my post. It was easily done with a Pathfinder which is close to a Murano in size.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
Robert Harlan

Profile:

Quote:
And if you're going to roll them I'd suggest strapping the rolled units up tight. Wrestling rolled up springy flat surfaces in and out of confined spaces while they're free to unroll is not fun.
Let me second this recommendation!

The guy that helped me load mine (into my Pathfinder) was telling me a story about a woman that bought a couple of mats from him. She showed up at the store 3 weeks later with a problem. One of the rolled up mats had unfurled in her car and got stuck. She had spent the three weeks asking all of her friends to help her get it out but no luck. The guy said it took two guys 20minutes to get it out of her car!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harlan View Post
Let me second this recommendation!

The guy that helped me load mine (into my Pathfinder) was telling me a story about a woman that bought a couple of mats from him. She showed up at the store 3 weeks later with a problem. One of the rolled up mats had unfurled in her car and got stuck. She had spent the three weeks asking all of her friends to help her get it out but no luck. The guy said it took two guys 20minutes to get it out of her car!
I could so see that happening!
Sproing! Then

Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
Sean Kufel

Profile:

I was able to fit four 4'x6'x3/4" mats into the back seat of my little Nissan Sentra. The employees at Tractor Supply helped roll and load them, and I unloaded them on my own with little trouble, albeit a bit of effort.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #19
Jeremy Lee

Profile:

They are just rubber mats....what's the big deal. My wife picked up 4 of them at tractor supply by herself and I unloaded them.....no issues and they work great.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
Sean Schade

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Garman View Post
Regarding the horse/livestock stall mats that are so popular for lifting platform flooring: how easily are they transported? Can they be rolled up at all? If so, how big are they when rolled up? Do you need a truck to transport them, or will a large car suffice?

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry, which I'm sure is too small. But my wife has a 2004 Nissan Murano, which I'm hoping is big enough if the mats can be rolled. Or, they might lie flat in the Murano with the back seats folded down (I haven't measured).

Just wondering what the smallest vehicle folks around here have used to get the mats from the store to their floor.

Thanks!
Just roll them up, and tie them with twine to keep the mats in place. Your Murano should be fine. I carried 3 in my Ford Edge.