CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #21
Robert Pierce

Profile:
Re: swine flue true statistics

duplicate, thought it hung, deleted

Last edited by Robert Pierce : 11-01-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 11-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #22
Robert Pierce

Profile:

deleted, duplicate post, thought it was hung up

Last edited by Robert Pierce : 11-01-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #23
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I stand corrected then--never heard of one. Wish we had access to it here or it was more widespread, because every training cycle we end up dropping about 10% of our Marine recruits to the medical rehab platoons for pneumonia or similar URIs.
Good news for you then, all you have to do is go to one of the hundreds (maybe thousands, I don't really know off the top of my head) of health departments around the country and, if you meet the criteria, pay your $50 or so. Most urgent care facilities, or primary care doctors also stock the vaccine. Here is the VIS (Vaccine information Statement) you'll get prior to getting the vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/VIS...ds/vis-ppv.pdf You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)

Last edited by Gonzalo Fernandez : 11-01-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #24
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pierce View Post
Wow I didn't have to look very hard, first google hit here is US data (wfs): http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/ From the CDC:
here is another view on statistics you presented here:
Quote:
The data revealed that in fact very few cases reported as swine flu were in fact H1N1 variant virus. CBS examined the data in all 50 states. What they found, for example, was that in Georgia only 2% of reported cases were H1N1 (97% negative for H1N1); in Alaska only 1% of reported cases were H1N1 (93% negative for flu and 5% seasonal flu) and in California only 2% of reported cases were H1N1 with 12% being other flu viruses and 86% negative for flu.

A recent release from the CDC found that their survey reported that of 12,943 specimens tested from around the country, only 26.3% of cases tested positive for H1N1 variant virus, but that 99.8% of the specimens tested positive for some type of other flu virus, most of which were regular seasonal flu.

The CDC has now changed all data reporting on the flu effects. They did this by stopping viral typing and subtyping and rolled back all previous numbers based on prior data. The new system for collecting data now started on August 30th, 2009.
CDC site has a lot of data but not much of what is hiding behind these numbers. I did not mean earlier that there is not enough data presented, I am much more interested in details after reading some negative reports on how current situation is handled. Here is more on the same topic:
WF safe
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-Pandemic.aspx
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #25
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
I am in the military and have heard that we're going to be required to get the H1N1 shot. Really not looking forward to it after doing research.
You're in the wrong line of work if you're going to be a wuss about shots. In 20 years of Army SF I had well over 100 vaccinations of various types.

My kids (7 and 9) got the H1N1 shot yesterday, and they will get the seasonal flu mist in 2 weeks. It is worth the peace of mind.

There will always be conspiracy nut jobs who prey on natural fears. In most areas of life they are relatively harmless. The Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorists, 911 Truthers, and Birthers haven't really hurt anyone. But the vaccination alarmists have damaged public health and endangered us all by unjustified undermining of public willingness to receive vaccinations. Inoculations are one of the greatest public health advancements in history and have saved countless millions of lives.

Google Medical School
Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 AM   #26
Drake Deming

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
You're in the wrong line of work if you're going to be a wuss about shots. In 20 years of Army SF I had well over 100 vaccinations of various types.

My kids (7 and 9) got the H1N1 shot yesterday, and they will get the seasonal flu mist in 2 weeks. It is worth the peace of mind.

There will always be conspiracy nut jobs who prey on natural fears. In most areas of life they are relatively harmless. The Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorists, 911 Truthers, and Birthers haven't really hurt anyone. But the vaccination alarmists have damaged public health and endangered us all by unjustified undermining of public willingness to receive vaccinations. Inoculations are one of the greatest public health advancements in history and have saved countless millions of lives.

Google Medical School
+1 for science!!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #27
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"
There will always be conspiracy nut jobs who prey on natural fears"

Like the media is preying on the fears of a pandemic? 46 - 88 children in each of the past 4 years from the flu. So far 76 have died from the swine and only 20-30 % of those children that died did not have an underlying medical problem that made them more susceptible to the flu.

So even if the number of deaths doubled to 190, that means it will account for 2% of the total deaths of people under 14.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #28
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
... Inoculations are one of the greatest public health advancements in history and have saved countless millions of lives.
here is one of the cases when it is not :
Quote:
It has always been a principle of medicine that one should not vaccinate pregnant women, except in extreme cases, because the risk to the baby is too high. Recently, we have seen two examples of violation of this policy. When the HPV vaccine Gardasil was first released the CDC and the manufacturer (Merck Pharmaceutical Company) recommended that it be given to pregnant women.

Shortly after beginning this dangerous practice it was ordered halted because a number of women were losing their babies and babies were being born with major malformations.26

It is known that stimulating a woman’s immune system during midterm and later term pregnancy significantly increases the risk that her baby will develop autism during childhood and schizophrenia sometime during the teenage years and afterward.27

Compelling scientific evidence also shows an increased risk of seizures in the baby and later as an adult.28 In fact, a number of neurodevelopmental and behavioral problems can occur in babies born to women immunologically stimulated during pregnancy.
here is another: few moths ago I listened to Doctor Radio and a person shared a story how he contracted polio through vaccination and remained disabled for the rest of his life (first vaccine against polio proved to be dangerous as it caused too many cases like that and was replaced soon with an improved version).
so it really depends... no one questions that it is a great invention... it's implementation that is what is questioned here...
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19

Last edited by Alexander Kornishev : 11-04-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM   #29
Frank E Morel

Profile:

can i ask you a simple question? what is your interest in all this.. besides self interest? Are you a policy maker? or concerned citizen?
did you voiced your concerns to minister of health?

I am not brow beating you here, just curious.

Regarding your post about hpv... what is the source? If your ever going to cite a position or facts, its necessary to cite the source. Otherwise, it could be the national enquirer that published that.

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 11-04-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #30
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

self-interest, concerned citizen... considering that in the radius of 1 mile from my work place there are at least two clinics which currently advertise H1N1 shots I was wondering what other people think about this whole process and about info from the sites I usually trust (at least vitamin D info from the sites I quoted above).
source is the same link I provided in my previous post. But no one seem to read it
oppps... it was deleted, I probably forgot FWsafe:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-Pandemic.aspx