CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:
Don't know if this is a medical issue - shaking, not sure why

This was very odd. I went to the gym and breezed through my normal warmup (my normal one: mobility drills, agility ladder drills, the Burgner warmup, some other stuff). In fact, I felt great - stronger than ever. I was sure I was going to tear through Cindy today and set a new record.

Then I started doing the workout, and after the first set, I started shaking. I felt like all my energy had vanished. In fact, for two hours afterwards, I was still shaking somewhat. But the odd part is, I don't feel sick or wasted or otherwise out of sorts. My energy just vanished and I started shaking (not a whole ton - just little shivers all over the body). Very odd.

I've had good days and bad days in the gym, but this was the first time something like this has happened to me. I called it off early because of that.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Don't know if this is a medical issue - shaking, not sure why

Sounds like low blood sugar and/or dehydration to me. What had you eaten recently?

The flu and food poisoning give me similar symptoms, too, so if you get sick in the next few days you can probably say this was an early sign.

Katherine
Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

I had the flu about two weeks ago. I drink plenty of water so I doubt it was dehydration.

Low blood sugar - hmm. Well, the meal I had before it was actually higher on the carb count than I would like, but it couldn't have been helped. I usually stick pretty well to the Zone - but this meal qualified as a cheat. I wonder if an insulin spike would do that?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Did you eat after your workout when you were shaking?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Wolfe View Post
I had the flu about two weeks ago. I drink plenty of water so I doubt it was dehydration.

Low blood sugar - hmm. Well, the meal I had before it was actually higher on the carb count than I would like, but it couldn't have been helped. I usually stick pretty well to the Zone - but this meal qualified as a cheat. I wonder if an insulin spike would do that?
After the flu, it can take a long time before you're fully back up to speed. How much have you worked out since then?

Katherine
Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
After the flu, it can take a long time before you're fully back up to speed. How much have you worked out since then?

Katherine
Pretty often, actually. I felt fully recovered about two and half weeks ago - I go to the gym M-F, and I've only missed two days since recovering from the flu. I even set new PRs on the CFT on Wednesday (yesterday - Thursday is one of the two days I missed, though).
Old 11-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Did you eat after your workout when you were shaking?
I ate a little bit of food. It didn't bother me - like I said, I don't feel sick. I just felt really, really strong and hyped and then all of a sudden - BAM! no energy and mild shakes.