CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #21
Bert Brams

Profile:
Re: My homegym ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil Li View Post
You look very conditioned. I am imporving my conditioning and tehcnique for my next wrestling season. Wasn't good enough for this season.
It'll come. Might I recommend sandbag conditioning for wrestling? Used to be used by the wrestlers of the old days all the time for conditioning or if they didn't have a partner to spar with.

Awesome to get your grip strength up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Griffin View Post
Mine are almost identical. I don't get it, because I see very few people who don't deadlift a lot more than they squat.

415 is my BS pr
405 is my DL pr
It depends on a lot of things Allen ... a training partner of mine squats 660 lbs to parallel and deadlift 550 lbs. We've tried everything to get his deadlift moving, but he just doesn't seem built for it(compared to his squat).

Assuming the depth of someone's squat is decent(which is often the problem), things like leverage and stance are the most important ... I pull better with a conventional stance, but others may be different.
100m sprint: 10:97 - BW:165 My now or never log
Old 05-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #22
Wil Li

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Brams View Post
It'll come. Might I recommend sandbag conditioning for wrestling? Used to be used by the wrestlers of the old days all the time for conditioning or if they didn't have a partner to spar with.

Awesome to get your grip strength up.

I do have a question. Should I be recording my times and wait for a week to come back to do the same workout to check my progress or will working out with varied routines the way to go. I have thought about making a sand bag but I haven't got the time and just lazy, to make one. Hey I see you have a keg in your picture. I have wanted to get one but haven't got a clue where to start. I know lots of people say to go to a beer store or something like that but I don't want to get thrown out or even arrested lol.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #23
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:
I do have a question. Should I be recording my times and wait for a week to come back to do the same workout to check my progress or will working out with varied routines the way to go. I have thought about making a sand bag but I haven't got the time and just lazy, to make one. Hey I see you have a keg in your picture. I have wanted to get one but haven't got a clue where to start. I know lots of people say to go to a beer store or something like that but I don't want to get thrown out or even arrested lol.
First of all, make the sandbag.
If you're lazy, you will never be the best at your sport. Or anything else, for that matter.

It took me about 20 minutes to make it.

The keg isn't mine, but you can buy one off a liquor store or a bar for about € 50. The ones that are free are usually broken and leaking, which is not what you want(unless you fill it up with sand instead and repair the holes).

Concerning training, I assume you mean:

- Varied workouts(like Crossfit)

versus

- The same workout for 3-4 weeks at a time.

I would do the sandbag training first in your workout once a week, focusing on strength(for example: clean&press for 5x5) and another time later in the week for conditioning(for example a circuit of: sandbag cleans, squats, bentover rows, good mornings, presses, etc .... with a light sandbag).

After your strength work you can still do Crossfit(varied workout), but I'd keep the strength component the same for 3-4 weeks before choosing a different exercise.

If it were me, I'd do it like this:

Mon:

Sandbag clean&press(strength)

Crossfit WOD(conditioning)

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Strength movement(for example: squats)

Friday:

Strength movement(for example: deadlifts)

Sandbag conditioning

Saturday:

Since you're already practicing wrestling during the week(I assume), I'd drop the Saturday and Tuesday trainings I listed here. Wrestling is enough for conditioning in that case.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #24
Wil Li

Profile:  

Wow thanks. I was just reading about the crossfit total and there is just one for today's WOD, why is it spread a month apart instead of on a weekly basis? Won't that much time off strength cause strenth loss?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:50 AM   #25
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:
Wow thanks. I was just reading about the crossfit total and there is just one for today's WOD, why is it spread a month apart instead of on a weekly basis? Won't that much time off strength cause strenth loss?
Hi Will,

There are people who can answer that question a lot better than I can.
I believe if you do a search concerning Crossfit programming or CF total that you will find many threads dealing with this.

The general answer is: Crossfit is a general strength and conditioning program, not a specific strength program. If you are trying to gain maximum strength while also improving conditioning, I'd do it like I just enlisted.

If you are looking for other programs where strength has a bigger role, search for "Black Box" or "Hybrid programs". Again, I'm not the expert concerning Crossfit Threads, so there might be different threads talking about this as well.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Wil Li

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Brams View Post
Hi Will,

There are people who can answer that question a lot better than I can.
I believe if you do a search concerning Crossfit programming or CF total that you will find many threads dealing with this.

The general answer is: Crossfit is a general strength and conditioning program, not a specific strength program. If you are trying to gain maximum strength while also improving conditioning, I'd do it like I just enlisted.

If you are looking for other programs where strength has a bigger role, search for "Black Box" or "Hybrid programs". Again, I'm not the expert concerning Crossfit Threads, so there might be different threads talking about this as well.
Oh sorry to for all the questions. Can't hurt to ask. What's black box? Seached it up but not of a workout.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #27
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:
Oh sorry to for all the questions. Can't hurt to ask. What's black box? Seached it up but not of a workout.
No problem at all! Ask away, if I can help out, I will.

"Black boxing" is more or less making your own version of CF. For example, if you want to focus more on endurance, you'd perhaps add more 5-mile runs and do the WOD's with less weight(just saying something, nobody eat me if it's not true).

Here you can find more about Crossfit with a strength bias:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42647

If you really want to focus on strength, I'd ease up on the metcon(conditioning)and focus on doing squats, deadlifts, presses, etc ... every week with a proper program that allows progression on a weekly basis.

Maybe 3 days of strength training, with 1-2 assistance movements a day, and 2 days of conditioning, choosing WOD's with bodyweight but nothing excessive(like Murph).

Example of a strength day:

Back Squat: 5 x 5

Weighted walking lunges: 4 x 8

Dumbbell Row: 5 x 8

Example of a conditioning day:

10 hill sprints

It's important to listen to your body when doing something like this. If you feel exhausted all the time, you have to psyche yourself up to train ... it's going wrong. You need to drop something.

Also important is to know what to focus on. You can't focus on AND getting strong as hell AND getting in the best shape ever. I learned that the hard way many, many times. If you do, you'll either suck at both or get injured.

You can train to get strong as hell and be in good shape, or you can train to be in great shape and be decently strong.

Notice I said "train". Eventually, it is possible to reach great achievements in both, but rarely at the same time.

So don't try to get your Fran time below 4 minutes while chasing a 1000lb CF total, because it won't happen at the same time.

First one, then the other.

Also worth to mention: greater strength(assuming you didn't get fat as hell to do it)gives you greater power output, thereby greater potential for metcon.

Crossfit Football is a good example of a mix of strength and metcon. Definitely check that out.

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/
Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #28
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Freaking sweet setup you have. I especially love those farmers bars. You mind if I post some pictures of your gym on my website www.twobargarage.com (wfs)?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #29
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude M Crowe View Post
Freaking sweet setup you have. I especially love those farmers bars. You mind if I post some pictures of your gym on my website www.twobargarage.com (wfs)?
Hi Claude, I don't mind at all, I'd love it!

Great site you've got there!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 AM   #30
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Great. I'll let you know when I put them up.