CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #771
Hunter Martin

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

On a 10-7-4 do I increase the weight each set so that I can only do 10-7- or 4 reps with that weight?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #772
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Nope. One weight. Again, you are trying to progress to a single set of 21 reps.

If you load up your weight and step in trying to get 21, and get 10...
rack the weight, rest 1-2 min and then get 7, rest, then 4.

or...

If you step in and get say 15 reps, then call it. Next week go for 16 or 17.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #773
Jorge Montesinos

Profile:

have a question, Im doing the same schedule as it is in the program. What day should it be to do deadlifts in a short heavy metcon? If my ME on deadlifts is Tuesday should i do it two days later or can we skip the high reps on Dl day and do metcon like this
5-4-3-2-1
deadlifts 275lbs
thrusters 135lbs
burpees.
So you would still be doing the same amount of lifts for the high reps of 15.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #774
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Yeah- that's one approach.

Keep in mind that the point of lifting 21x in a row, is just that.

Its a different stimulus, with different results. The protocol IIRC is to help narrow the gap between 1 and 3 or more rep maxes.

Ultimately its your program. If something works, keep doing it. If not, change.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #775
Jay Ashman

Profile:

If you are doing CFSB you should stick with the stated rep ranges and don't substitute a DL metcon for the last set of high rep deadlifts. The stimulus isn't the same and I feel that you will get more out of the program by doing it as stated.

If you want to tinker with CFSB in that way I would suggest a different training template that isn't so rigid in its setup.

Be sure you guys keep those metcons short on the lifting days and don't use too many weighted metcons on non-lifting days. I feel that it will hinder progress with strength if you have too many heavy metcons on non-lifting days.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #776
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:
Re: CFSB questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
go to Hybrid Athletics, forum and look up their trainer workouts... get some ideas from there.
I went to this site and is it free? I tried to put in my info but it wouldn't work. I am willing to pay I just can't figure it out.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #777
Jonathan Cedolia

Profile:

Never mind that post it is letting me put my info in sorry.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #778
Craig Freel

Profile:

OK I have read this entire thread and the article. I'd really appreciate input from some of you guys who have experience with this program.

I'd really like to do this program, exactly like prescribed but that is currently impossible for my situation. I go to an affiliate that does strict mainpage and is very crowded on WOD days so doing my own thing isn't an option. So here is what I'd like to propose and get your opinion on:

MP Schedule *|* Proposed CFSB* schedule
Mon - WOD *|* Mon - Rest
Tues- WOD *|* Tues - WOD
Wed - WOD *|* Wed - WOD
Thur- Rest *|* Thurs- 3x5 BackSq, 3x5 Deadlift, 1x20 DL
Fri - WOD *|* Fri - Rest
Sat - WOD *|* Sat - WOD
Sun - WOD *|* Sun - WOD
Mon - Rest *|* Mon - 3x5 FrontSq, 3x5 Press, 1x20BS/SP

I have more leeway with what I do at the box on rest days. Now obviously the WODs that I do, for example, Tues + Wed may affect what I do on Thurs (i.e. if Wed's WOD is Max BS, then I would theoretically do DLs and a short metcon on the Thurs "rest day".

What are your thoughts about this changed up CFSB? I think removing the metcon on the lifting days would allow me to handle more than one lift on those days. I could also shift the lifting day to the first day of my personal 3 day cycle, but then that doesn't allow me to see/adjust based off what WODs come up.

I know some people spread it out and do 1 lift per 3 day MP cycle, but I'd like to do more than that and think that I could if I do one less WOD per cycle.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #779
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Freel View Post
OK I have read this entire thread and the article. I'd really appreciate input from some of you guys who have experience with this program.

I'd really like to do this program, exactly like prescribed but that is currently impossible for my situation. I go to an affiliate that does strict mainpage and is very crowded on WOD days so doing my own thing isn't an option. So here is what I'd like to propose and get your opinion on:

MP Schedule *|* Proposed CFSB* schedule
Mon - WOD *|* Mon - Rest
Tues- WOD *|* Tues - WOD
Wed - WOD *|* Wed - WOD
Thur- Rest *|* Thurs- 3x5 BackSq, 3x5 Deadlift, 1x20 DL
Fri - WOD *|* Fri - Rest
Sat - WOD *|* Sat - WOD
Sun - WOD *|* Sun - WOD
Mon - Rest *|* Mon - 3x5 FrontSq, 3x5 Press, 1x20BS/SP

I have more leeway with what I do at the box on rest days. Now obviously the WODs that I do, for example, Tues + Wed may affect what I do on Thurs (i.e. if Wed's WOD is Max BS, then I would theoretically do DLs and a short metcon on the Thurs "rest day".

What are your thoughts about this changed up CFSB? I think removing the metcon on the lifting days would allow me to handle more than one lift on those days. I could also shift the lifting day to the first day of my personal 3 day cycle, but then that doesn't allow me to see/adjust based off what WODs come up.

I know some people spread it out and do 1 lift per 3 day MP cycle, but I'd like to do more than that and think that I could if I do one less WOD per cycle.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
You've obviously got to work within your resources. That said I think your training will suffer if you do BS and DL on the same day. If you're hitting either one of those heavy, it should leave you pretty darn gassed. If you have to work with just doing lifts on the MP rest days, then at least split up BS and DL. There's not really a great way to do that as FS/DL on the same day is only marginally better as FS's will be less weight and slightly less emphasis on the posterior chain than BS's, but that's still a lot of work.

Here are the 2 options I would present you with:

1) Rotate weeks. Week A do 3x5 and 1x20 BS and a short metcon on MP rest day 1. Then do 3x5 DL and 3x5 SP and high rep DL or SP on rest day 2. Rotate BS/DL/FS/Clean as fits in your schedule. Remember that MP is going to have a pure strength day ~every 2 weeks at least, so if they have heavy DL a day or two before you were planning on doing DL's for your strength workout, switch DL's out for BS/FS on your strength day. The same can be said for if you do a metcon with those exercises the day before. If Wednesday's MP WOD is Fran/Diane/Elizabeth, you would not program FS/DL/Clean for the next day if you were going for max effort.

2) Talk to the coaches at your affiliate. See if there's some way to work out so you can do something a little different from everyone else. CF is great GPP but that's not to say that MP is one size fits all. Some folks want more strength, some folks want more endurance and your affiliate should recognize and do its best to support that.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #780
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

Hey few questions

1) Can you do Monostructural stuff alongside this e.g. 5k's etc

2) Could i add extra Metcon?

3) Possible to exchange FS with BP, if i do high rep FS after ME BS?

Jordan.