CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #31
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Protien question

For running, you might have a look at Crossfit Endurance's programming. You're exactly their target audience.

Katherine
Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
Rob Samuels

Profile:  
Smile Re: Protien question

DJust catching up. Don't worry too much about being exact on your calories or ratios. Refer back to don't be a food Nazi. You have some guidelines just try to stick to those. Many here are speculating you need to eat more but that's up to you. Don't eat more because someone says you should, you determine that based on your goals.

Then there is the age old argument about muscle burning more calories so focus on weights rather than running. Personal experience shows this to be a truth in a vacuum. Here is what I personally have found. People new to exercise or even those coming off a lay off rarely lift weights at a level sufficient to produce body comp changes as rapidly as someone elevating their heart rate for extended periods. So while weightlifting does have the potential to effect better body comp changes than running, in practice people will fall short because they don't know how to lift, they don't lift with sufficient intensity and they won't lift with significant duration.

Everyone can strap on some shoes and go run/walk increasing heart rate and because it can be accomplished at lower intensities they will do it for a longer duration. The end result is they burn more calories they do gain some strength and initially a little mass. They lose more fat.

Another huge component especially for women is women are more apt to stick with or even start in the first place, a run/walk program. vs. a program of weights because it can be intimidating embarrassing and because of some of the stereotypes associated with women and weights

Bottom line do both but at least do something and if that something is running so be it. I have mixed feelings about the crossfit endurance program for a new athlete for the same reasons as above. Nice to have a fitness base before embarking on a program which stresses intensity. But that's a whole other discussion I typed this on my phone sorry for any spelling issues!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #33
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Grilione View Post
Chris, I wonder what optimize body composition means? I think optimize has to be relative to something...?

My primary goal is to enjoy my life and do the things I like to do. I want to be fit enough to chase my kids around and be healthy and enjoy running and hiking and softball and soccer and feel amazing doing all that. So far losing excess weight has been #1 (I've lost 40 lbs already), but as I start getting closer to target I want to finish losing fat while gaining (or at least not losing) strength.

My secondary goal is to improve my running. That's my sport and a big social activity in my life. I'm training for 10K at the end of Oct, a half marathon in March, and tough mudder next Sept.
Ok, you want to continue to lose body fat (I presume that is what you mean by weight) and gain strength and you think running is the way to do it?

I think you are misinformed on how to reach your goals in the most efficient manner possible.

Your stated #1 priority and your training for a 10k and a half marathon make no sense. They are essentially contradictory.

If you simply said you want to be a better runner and you are not overly worried with your appearance and strength then what you are doing would make sense to me.

By the way, I tend to be very direct in writing. I am not trying to chastise or be harsh.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #34
Melissa Grilione

Profile:

Thanks Rob! Great advice, and I'm taking it all. Using your numbers, keeping up my running program, and using crossfit as my strength training program 3 days/week. I'll let you know how it goes, but I predict most of my excess fat gone by first of the year, and I'll be faster and stronger by then too, as well as have a solid knowledge of crossfit and improved form. Then I can think about and set some new even bigger goals.

Chris, training for 10K in 25 days. My running program is tailored for that right now. Then, half marathon in March. Of course my running program will change after the 10K, and shift to half training. They are certainly different.
I appreciate your perspective too.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #35
Carla Buzzio

Profile:

I don't mean to piggy back off Melissa's question, but she mentions she does 3 days of Crossfit and then runs 3 days a week. So should I be adding other forms for training besides Crossfit to my agenda? Currenlty I Crossfit 4-5 days out of the week, my goal is to gain strength and become leaner.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #36
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Buzzio View Post
I don't mean to piggy back off Melissa's question, but she mentions she does 3 days of Crossfit and then runs 3 days a week. So should I be adding other forms for training besides Crossfit to my agenda? Currenlty I Crossfit 4-5 days out of the week, my goal is to gain strength and become leaner.
No.

For my own training, the only time I add other forms of training is when I apply crossfit to sport.

For instance, if I go for a run or hike, I consider it a replacement for a day at the gym.

When I train for a road race, I only run distance once a week in the place of a WOD. I would also throw an interval workout into the week as well. Other then that, I usually don't spend a whole lot of time on specifically training for it because good programming at your gym should accomplish that.

If I was a serious runner, I would look into crossfit endurance like Katharine suggested.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #37
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Buzzio View Post
For the average person, Crossfit is plenty. If you have specific goals outside of Crossfit, you might need to adjust your programming to match, but doing more for the sake of doing more is not a good idea.

Katherine
Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #38
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Grilione View Post
Thanks Rob! Great advice, and I'm taking it all. Using your numbers, keeping up my running program, and using crossfit as my strength training program 3 days/week. I'll let you know how it goes, but I predict most of my excess fat gone by first of the year, and I'll be faster and stronger by then too, as well as have a solid knowledge of crossfit and improved form. Then I can think about and set some new even bigger goals.

Chris, training for 10K in 25 days. My running program is tailored for that right now. Then, half marathon in March. Of course my running program will change after the 10K, and shift to half training. They are certainly different.
I appreciate your perspective too.

What are you basing that prediction on? Unless you up your food intake and cut back on some of your workload, I see you making minimal progress towards your running, strength, or body composition goals. From my perspective it looks like you're trying to do too many things at once.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #39
Melissa Grilione

Profile:

Eric, tell me where I'm wrong and give me a better plan and explain the science...I'm all ears and appreciate useful input!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #40
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

In my opinion, you have made a plan for yourself; now follow through with that plan. Make changes along the way based on your results. As I said earlier many here will speculate on your results based on their experience or what they have read but all that is really important is how it all works for you.

You can go on 10 different exercise and nutrition related message boards and get 50 new "plans" each day everyday based on "somebody's" (read unknown person with who knows what kind of credentials if any at all) idea of what you should be doing.

Nutrition and exercise is always evolving and your plan can to but you have to start someplace or you will be mired in place by the suggestions of the masses.

Go run! Eat 1500 calories! do crossfit! If you are not seeing progress every couple weeks then tweak something. Itís nice to get opinions and hear from the gurus and read all the research and Iím not discounting any advice you might get but if you change your plan everyday based on someone elseís suggestion, thatís really no plan at all.