CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
David Lauzurique

Profile:
Exclamation Starting Crossfit. Help me out?

I'm 18, 5'4, weighing 138lbs. I've been workout out at my gym for 2 years now and I have great knowledge on bodybuilding. But I am now tired of bodybuilding, and I'm getting too big. I looked into crossfit and did a free week at a box and I fell in love! Im looking to start CF soon at a box but for now im doing crossfit at my gym. I've been doing the WODs from this site, but I have a few questions:

Should a beginner follow the WODs displayed on the site?

Also, if a wod calls for lets say for examples to do thrusters with 75lbs, should a beginner use 75;bs? I can easily shoulder press 135lbs, but today I was doing thrusters using the 21,15,9 reps with 30reps of jumprope in between, and it took me like 10 minutes to complete, like I was dying. Should I be using lower weight or should i stay using 75lbs and keep pushing myself?

Also, I want to train my endurance. I no longer want to train to get big like I was doing at the gym. I want a good endurance crossfit body. How do i train my endurance for crossfit?

Hopefully someone can help.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Mike.Phillips

Profile:
Re: Starting Crossfit. Help me out?

to start, go with a lighter weight and treat it like a "cardio" workout. The weight in the Crossfit workouts never seems high, but when you combine with it all the other movements, it can feel like you're lifting an SUV

Even when the weight it light, you're going to be going faster through the workout, which is going to work you out really hard also. Whether you go "stop and go" with heavy weight, or blast through it with lighter weight, either way it's grueling, just a different type of "grueling"

Personally, I'd recommend starting out with lighter weights. Crossfit uses many "full body" movements, and it's going to feel different than the typical gym "isolation" movements.

In the gym, you do leg presses (quads only). At Crossfit, you do box jumps (core, arms, legs, etc). In the gym you do dumbell shoulder press. At Crossfit, you do wallballs with medicine balls.

So go light to start, get through the workouts, give your whole body time to activate the smaller muscles you might not have used before. As your whole body becomes accustomed to the new routines, increase weight, increase speed, keep good form!!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I'd recommend scaling down the workouts to start and slowly build your way up. On the mainsite there is a link somewhere on the left to Brand X which offers scaling for different levels. Also you can check the comments under the WOD and see how other people around the world have done the WOD.

When I look at a WOD, I think what is the intention of it. Is it supposed to be a short brutal metcon or a longer arduous beatdown? If it is supposed to be short and sweet, say 4 minutes, and I took 10 minutes, I probably should've scaled it down. After a while of doing WODs and looking at Brand X, you'll get a feel as to what level you are and can slowly push yourself forward.

In regards to endurance, for general fitness, doing the WODs are adequate for most, but if you have aspirations for long distance runs, cycling or long distance competition, you'll probably need a little more focus on distance training and you might want to consider CrossFit Endurance for a good template of mixing typical strength and CF Metcons with more consistent endurance work.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Start low and work up.
With Fran (21-15-9 of thrusters & pullups) I can do it as RXed (95lbs) in about 5 minutes, or I can do it with a 45lb barbell in about 3. Either way it kicks my a$$. It's not like I cheated myself by scaling. If it takes you 12 minutes to do it with 95lbs, then you are doing more of heavy thruster workout, and not a short intense metcon.
Start low, get a feel for things and work up. Don't get hurt by going to heavy at first.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

5'4" 138lbs. That ain't big dude, that's Gymnastics sized.

CF mainsite or CFEndurance will be fine if you prefer to be on the lighter side.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lauzurique View Post
I'm 18, 5'4, weighing 138lbs. I've been workout out at my gym for 2 years now and I have great knowledge on bodybuilding. But I am now tired of bodybuilding, and I'm getting too big. I looked into crossfit and did a free week at a box and I fell in love! Im looking to start CF soon at a box but for now im doing crossfit at my gym. I've been doing the WODs from this site, but I have a few questions:

Should a beginner follow the WODs displayed on the site?

Also, if a wod calls for lets say for examples to do thrusters with 75lbs, should a beginner use 75;bs? I can easily shoulder press 135lbs, but today I was doing thrusters using the 21,15,9 reps with 30reps of jumprope in between, and it took me like 10 minutes to complete, like I was dying. Should I be using lower weight or should i stay using 75lbs and keep pushing myself?

Also, I want to train my endurance. I no longer want to train to get big like I was doing at the gym. I want a good endurance crossfit body. How do i train my endurance for crossfit?

Hopefully someone can help.
I'm going to second Blair and say "huh?"

What kind of bodybuilder training have you been doing, and what are some of your current lift numbers?

If you're only a week into CF it's unlikely you need to do anything special to improve your endurance and metcon capacity. It will come with time. But I'd also recommend you not ignore strength and "getting bigger" because strength is what's going to help you throw those weights around for multiple reps in a CF workout.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Steve M Herman

Profile:

David,

I am about 1 month into crossfit and what i've learned is that crossfit will expose your weaknesses. All of them. For instance i have little stamina. I can lift more than most of the others in my "beginner" group, but i run out of gas quick. Because of that i have thought about in corporating some running on my off days, but i am so sore i havent tried. Because i see the others in the gym with an amazing motor i trust that it will come around. I do highly suggest you get into the group sooner rather than later, there is a great dynamic when the whole gym is doing the same thing that say. Ive been motivated and pushed more than i ever could motivate myself working out alone.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Steve, running will build your max VO2 base and aerobic base. It will have a little bit of a carryover to your CF. CF really is about strength endurance and volume.

I'm in the same boat as you. Stronger than the typical boxgoer, for my size, but quite often lack the engine since I have tended to never be FT CF. Not in the past 5 years since most of the time I was doing Gymnastics heavy programming with CF as assistance or on weekends. Basically a change or variety.

I'm sure the running will help us both but not so much as doing CF really. That aerobic base does help build an anaerobic base to some degree but we're not gonna see HUGE gains by adding in some aerobic work. Might help recovery a bit if we don't try killing ourselves with it.

If we wanted to or cared, we would probably benefit more by CrossFitStrengthBias or perhaps OPT's or Outlaw's programming to build up that strength-endurance engine.

Basically, do CrossFit more than what we had been doing before (the Strength lifts, Olympic Lifts, or Gymnastics which are great for strength and power but meh for endurance).
Old 08-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
David Lauzurique

Profile:

Sorry for the late reply but thanks guys! This has definitely helped. Definitely loving the forums here than on bodybuilding.com, where everything talks crap to you if you ask stupid questions. Thanks for all the help. Definitely going to scale down, use less weight, and look into Crossfit Endurance.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
David Lauzurique

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
5'4" 138lbs. That ain't big dude, that's Gymnastics sized.

CF mainsite or CFEndurance will be fine if you prefer to be on the lighter side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I'm going to second Blair and say "huh?"

What kind of bodybuilder training have you been doing, and what are some of your current lift numbers?

If you're only a week into CF it's unlikely you need to do anything special to improve your endurance and metcon capacity. It will come with time. But I'd also recommend you not ignore strength and "getting bigger" because strength is what's going to help you throw those weights around for multiple reps in a CF workout.
I'm fine now, but at 5'4, I don't want to continue doing big heavy bodybuilding to the point where I'm too big and look weird. You know, ever seen that short guy who looks like a mini bodybuilder? Just not my thing. I do have a great muscle build that I want to keep, but I don't want to continue gaining. I want focus now on endurance and crossfit!