CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
John Benoit

Profile:
Shoulder Problem/Issue

A chronically sore shoulder has led me to get an MRI of my right shoulder. I'm 40 years old, with a desk-bound background, with crappy posture. Been crossfitting for 3 years, dealing with this shoulder for a year. Currently seeing a PT, using PRRT, Myofacial Release and Lengthening on the surrounding areas (incuding biceps and triceps), and working on postural issues. USing a lot of the MobilityWod techniques. That being said here is the report:

Technique: MRI exam, using 1.5 Tesla MRI system

Findings: There is hypertrophy of the AC Joint. There is a large amount of edema surrounding teh AC joint suggesting recent AC joint injury. No evidence of fracture or dislocation. There is a benign appearing bone lesion within the humeral head which measures approximately 15 mm. This may represent a large enchondroma. Follow up MRI in 4-6 months recommended. There is mild tendinosis/tendinopathy of the supraspinatus tendon. No evidence of rotator cuff tear. The infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis tendons appear unremarkable. Biceps tendons appears intact. no evidence of fracture or dislocation.

Impression:
1. Edema of the AC joint suggesting recent AC joint injury without evidence of fracture or dislocation.

2. 16MM Bone lesion within the humeral head may represent a large benign enchondroma. repeat MRI in 4-6 months.

Anyone out there with any thoughts on my issue? Thx.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Problem/Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benoit View Post
A chronically sore shoulder has led me to get an MRI of my right shoulder. I'm 40 years old, with a desk-bound background, with crappy posture. Been crossfitting for 3 years, dealing with this shoulder for a year. Currently seeing a PT, using PRRT, Myofacial Release and Lengthening on the surrounding areas (incuding biceps and triceps), and working on postural issues. USing a lot of the MobilityWod techniques. That being said here is the report:

Technique: MRI exam, using 1.5 Tesla MRI system

Findings: There is hypertrophy of the AC Joint. There is a large amount of edema surrounding teh AC joint suggesting recent AC joint injury. No evidence of fracture or dislocation. There is a benign appearing bone lesion within the humeral head which measures approximately 15 mm. This may represent a large enchondroma. Follow up MRI in 4-6 months recommended. There is mild tendinosis/tendinopathy of the supraspinatus tendon. No evidence of rotator cuff tear. The infraspinatus, teres minor and subscapularis tendons appear unremarkable. Biceps tendons appears intact. no evidence of fracture or dislocation.

Impression:
1. Edema of the AC joint suggesting recent AC joint injury without evidence of fracture or dislocation.

2. 16MM Bone lesion within the humeral head may represent a large benign enchondroma. repeat MRI in 4-6 months.

Anyone out there with any thoughts on my issue? Thx.
Hi I'm an orthopedic surgeon. AC joint edema can be from stress at AC joint with lifting and the things we do at Crossfit. Tendonitis showing up in rotator cuff. Enchondroma is a common growth seen in bone, with all this I would see an orthopedist and get a good physical exam and diagnosis to correlate with the MRI. you can go to my website aqnd see some of the possibilities for shoulder pain. Good luck,Sean

www.orthopedicsne.com
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Shoulder Problem/Issue

What Sean said.

As far as the rehab goes, as long as everything is improving with your PT you should be OK.