CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Dawn Kratzer

Profile:
Not sure where to put this but I had a wild idea

Hi
My name is Dawn - i live in Alberta Canada and I have been involved with Crossfit since last November. I love it - not only because it is purely awesome. but because I do it and I have Cerebral Palsy, affecting my legs mildly.

Anyway I have been watching the CF games this weekend (it is crazy and I love it ) it got me thinking .. has anyone brought up the idea of having a class of competitors with physical disabilities, part of the games as i know there are lot of people with disabilities that are active with CF gyms. -- I think it would be amazing but that's just me lol ... maybe for future years ?

anyway I thought I would bring it up and see what kind of response i would get
Old 07-31-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Not sure where to put this but I had a wild idea

That sounds awesome. Do you think there would be enough people for the competition?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Kendra Bailey

Profile:

I was thinking the same thing! There are so many crossfitters out there with some form of physical "limitation" (for lack of a better word). I am one of those (congenital amputee, just below the left elbow). I would love it if there were CF events for crossfitters like us. My coach is at the games right now and is getting inspired to put together a competative CF team to go to next year's regionals, but it makes me wonder if I would even be qualified for something like that.

If something like this doesn't already exist, it should!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

While I agree that a CrossFit "Para-Games" (or whatever you want to call it) is an excellent and noble idea, I do think there would be some complications if you wanted to do something that was in the traditional CrossFit Games fashion.

In the Paralympics (often confused with the Special Olympics), as with the regular Olympics, competition is broken into individual events. This allows athletes to compete only in events for which their particular physical impairment is not a hindrance. Certain events, such as wheelchair events, are even specific to athletes of a particular common impairment.

In a format such as the Games, where all athletes compete in a series of varied events, it would be difficult to program multiple events that would be both accessible and challenging to a wheelchair bound athlete, an athlete with cerebral palsy and an athlete such as Kendra, just for example.

You could do a competition where each event is independent of the others, but I think you may lose the CrossFit spirit of testing over "broad time and modal domains". The other option would be to do a traditional Games format, but break the athletes into different divisions based upon their particular abilities. The one problem I think you might have early on is getting enough athletes to fill out your divisions, but I definitely think it could be brought to HQ as something they might consider doing (at least as an exhibition) as part of future Games events.

Last edited by Christopher G. Woods : 07-31-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Kendra Bailey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
While I agree that a CrossFit "Para-Games" (or whatever you want to call it) is an excellent and noble idea, I do think there would be some complications if you wanted to do something that was in the traditional CrossFit Games fashion.

In the Paralympics (often confused with the Special Olympics), as with the regular Olympics, competition is broken into individual events. This allows athletes to compete only in events for which their particular physical impairment is not a hindrance. Certain events, such as wheelchair events, are even specific to athletes of a particular common impairment.

In a format such as the Games, where all athletes compete in a series of varied events, it would be difficult to program multiple events that would be both accessible and challenging to a wheelchair bound athlete, an athlete with cerebral palsy and an athlete such as Kendra, just for example.

You could do a competition where each event is independent of the others, but I think you may lose the CrossFit spirit of testing over "broad time and modal domains". The other option would be to do a traditional Games format, but break the athletes into different divisions based upon their particular abilities. The one problem I think you might have early on is getting enough athletes to fill out your divisions, but I definitely think it could be brought to HQ as something they might consider doing (at least as an exhibition) as part of future Games events.
You make a couple of excellent points. I haven't thought about how competition formatting would go. I also just assumed that there are a lot of crossfitters out there with some sort of significant physical limitation but collectively we just haven't found a method of organizing. I guess the first step would be to find each other and generate enough interest and participation in this to drive it forward. I, for one, am totally down for this.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
Dawn Kratzer

Profile:

hahaa when I I thought of this - i never thought people would agree ! i mean I have just started and it has done amazing things for me I was trying to find an email to possibly bring it up with Crossfit HQ. If any of you are able to bring it up to them it would be amazing to hear their response

who knows in 5 ish years there could be something
Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Gaines DuVall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Kratzer View Post
Hi
My name is Dawn - i live in Alberta Canada and I have been involved with Crossfit since last November. I love it - not only because it is purely awesome. but because I do it and I have Cerebral Palsy, affecting my legs mildly.

Anyway I have been watching the CF games this weekend (it is crazy and I love it ) it got me thinking .. has anyone brought up the idea of having a class of competitors with physical disabilities, part of the games as i know there are lot of people with disabilities that are active with CF gyms. -- I think it would be amazing but that's just me lol ... maybe for future years ?

anyway I thought I would bring it up and see what kind of response i would get
Great idea. Probably a few years away, but great idea.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Milton Brisson

Profile:

I would be all for something like that. It would start as a demonstration type thing, I think, until they could get enough athletes interested. (there was something similar this year at the Games, showcasing CF Kids).

Look Lucas King up in the workout logs section (he was in the CF Kids demo-thing this year). I expect that he will post a write-up of his experience with that.

But, I digress....it's a simply awesome idea, Dawn!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Dawn Kratzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
I would be all for something like that. It would start as a demonstration type thing, I think, until they could get enough athletes interested. (there was something similar this year at the Games, showcasing CF Kids).

Look Lucas King up in the workout logs section (he was in the CF Kids demo-thing this year). I expect that he will post a write-up of his experience with that.

But, I digress....it's a simply awesome idea, Dawn!!!

That be cool - get it started that way -- I am sure it would pick up fast -who knows
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
Dawn Kratzer

Profile:

has anyone found an email to send this idea to?