CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:
New Canadian "fitness targets" coming

Looks like the recommended physical activity guideline targets will be lowered to "60 minutes a day for kids and 150 minutes a week for adults."

Later on in the article, they are recommending HIIT, however.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2010/...weighs-in.html

WFS
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: New Canadian "fitness targets" coming

Pop science is s l o w l y getting the message that lots and lots of modest exercise doesn't work very well. Maybe in another ten years they might put forth a standard that requires folks to break a sweat.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Nic Michaud

Profile:

lol everybody's out of shape so lower our standards?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

That's the Canadian way man... I mean heaven forbid we call anyone fat or say they're out of shape... goodness we might offend someone!

My question is which kids are they talking about?? 60 minutes a day? That's the morning warmup for most kids I know. If some of the kids I know aren't running around we assume they're sick or somethings wrong. But I guess all the fat parents don't let their kids run around because then they'd have to chase them! On nooos!!! So they just bait them with cookies. Sad.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Nic Michaud

Profile:

Lol, of course in Winterpeg this time of year they're just running around to keep warm. :P

I'd like to know where they did the survey of adults because in the east coast i doubt 45% adults don't exercise, although i know quite a few ppl who don't exercise much but have active workplaces where they burn energy. Kinda like the mover anomaly.

Also I dunno who these kids are they surveyed but I know there's plenty kids 12-17 out here who exercise enough through sports and phys ed.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Michael Buzny

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Michaud View Post
lol everybody's out of shape so lower our standards?
Hey for a while (like within the last 5 years or so) the Canadian Forces (not sure if they reinstated it or not) eliminated the physical fitness test during the enrollement process. Instead recruits, would do the test when they got to basic training, if they failed, they went to fat camp for a month. And even now the minimum standards are still a joke.