CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-16-2010, 11:28 AM   #61
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
LOL. Even strikers need to know how to fall and some basic ground work in case the fight goes to the ground. I prefer to keep the fight standing, more options for me including running away.
Sounds like the aikido ideal: attacker is on the ground, but I'm not. :-) Not so easy to achieve in practice, though, like all ideals.

Katherine
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #62
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Super nice mats at budovideos.com (WFS). Look for the Zebra Home Mat. VERY nice, and I've been on mats for years. Got two of the mats at home now. Nice enough to do high breakfalls on.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #63
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I threw a brown belt down today, hard! Yay! Even though I had about 70 pounds on him...........

Then I got slammed down onto my hip by a black belt. Ouch.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #64
Randall Scott

Profile:

Judo is a great art for real life situations, so good to see you end up there. It will also give you a solid base if you ever want to branch out into other effective styles.

And a huge LOL to the people on here that think that MMA is not an effective form of street fighting. MMA evolved from Vale Tudo/no holds barred fighting. If there are ever any questions, most gyms will accept gym challenges so feel free!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #65
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I just think that I follow the Forrest Griffin way of street fighting he talks about in his book. Just put your head down and start punching the guy hard and don't stop punching till he's down and out.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #66
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Scott View Post
And a huge LOL to the people on here that think that MMA is not an effective form of street fighting.
Things you learn in MMA can be effective on the street, same for any specific form of martial arts. The key is knowing how you take those skills and apply them to what happens on the street. What happens on the street != what happens in a ring.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #67
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I just think that I follow the Forrest Griffin way of street fighting he talks about in his book. Just put your head down and start punching the guy hard and don't stop punching till he's down and out.
Works for me. Punch, kick, bite, eye gouge, whatever it takes.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #68
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Things you learn in MMA can be effective on the street, same for any specific form of martial arts. The key is knowing how you take those skills and apply them to what happens on the street. What happens on the street != what happens in a ring.
Some things you learn will also get you killed i.e. ground fighting. I would never intentionally take a fight to the ground, unless I was 1000% sure there was only one attacker. Rolling around on the street with broken glass, rocks, uneven surfaces, cars etc is waaaaayyy different than rolling around on a soft mat.

Don't get me wrong, I love bjj and have no problem grappling from my back. It's just that the odds are you will be facing more than one opponent. You would be an absolute idiot to take someone to the ground, to ground and pound them, while their friends are still standing. No matter how super sweet your omoplata is, its not going to save you from getting the crap stomped out of you by two other guys.

Martial arts made for the ring need to stay in the ring. Martial arts made for the street need to stay in the street. Two different things, two totally different applications.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #69
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Goju-ryu may be a half hard/soft style but it will whip your butt and do some damage. Take lots of damage, give damage seemed to be it's motto. Lots of body training and fun times.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 AM   #70
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
Some things you learn will also get you killed i.e. ground fighting. I would never intentionally take a fight to the ground, unless I was 1000% sure there was only one attacker.
Yeah, having a dillweed confront and attack you in a bar (remember to practice the 3 D's of self-defense, Detect, Defuse, Defend) and you decide to take him to the ground in place him in an arm bar could be trouble. One, dillweeds tend to not tap out, especially if drugs or alcohol are involved. Even breaking the arm may not make them give up. Second, as you mentioned is his buddies kicking you in the head while you our on the ground..

Again, I do think it is important to know some ground skills for self-defense, but don't make that your focus of self defense.