CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
Kevin Simons

Profile:
Re: Beware of Kalsu

Huge props to Mr Orlando for doing this in 16:44! Sinister is exactly the right word. I just did it this morning in 20:50, and thought I was dying. You don't realize how hard it is going to be until you are only 5 minutes in and your strategy is already breaking down. This one deserves the reputation.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
Jesse Gray

Profile:

So, I've been thinking I would shoot for 20 mins on this one, try and just do 5 thrusters every minute. I'm wondering for those of you who have done this; is this a doable strategy or am I setting myself up for failure? If this isn't the way to go, any thoughts on what is?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Kevin Simons

Profile:
Kalsu Video wfs

I had a similar plan. I figured 7 thrusters a minute and it would be done in 15 minutes. That way I could have a little leeway and still shoot for Rob's time. Worked out alright until 42, I think, and then everything went to hell. You don't realize how brutal the burpee/thruster combo is until you do it. My final time was about 21 minutes, and I have done a full 21-15-9 Fran with 135lb thrusters in 4:06. Here is a video of the last 10 minutes or so. A bunch of people checking my log have already had a good laugh about my burpees haha. Absolutely the ugliest of my life.

Kalsu Video (wfs)

P.S. It has been pointed out to me that I missed a burpee. I blame delirium .
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 04-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Ok, that looked painful. I'll give it my best shot, although I'm a bit different, my thrusters aren't great but I'm a burpee machine. I might go for four a minute instead and try to finish under 25 mins.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Kevin, how did you get so big?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #16
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Cool, Jesse. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. When are you doing it anyway?

Arturo, my size has a lot to do with genetics. When I only did gymnastics I always had more muscle mass than my teammates (not a great thing in that sport). After high school I followed a bodybuilding type of split but went super heavy on everything just trying to bring my strength numbers up and still grew a ton. If I could maintain my strength and be 20 lbs lighter though, I'd take it.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Ah, BB, that explains it

Kevin, I'm not even half a strong as you but if you don't mind some criticism... Your burpees were quite UNstrict!. I mean, no ofense, but you weren't doing the push-up, or even close. Not even a knee push-up man! You were kindof straightening your arms while your body from hip to feet were on the floor, sortof like the "Cobra" stretching possition except with head not looking up.

I have to admit I might be a perfectionist, because I don't like most burpees I see on video. Most guys end up doing a knee push-up, AND, then they jump to their feet, they jump and land with their hips very high (knees almost fully extended), and jump from there. I thought you should come back from the push-up to a "bottom of an air-squat" possition and jump from there. The bottom of an air squat will have your chest up and hips below knees, right? But even the CF competitors come back from their knee-push-up to the possition I described, with knees extended, and jump from there, which can't be healthy by the way, can it? I mean, the low back all rounded and straightening from there... ? What do you think?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
Kevin Simons

Profile:

My understanding of the standards is that 1) the chest has to hit the deck and that 2) you clap overhead while jumping, I don't think it matters how you get there. I haven't competed in any CF events though, so maybe others can offer their insight here. The way you described is obviously way more time efficient, and is how I do them 99% of the time. Check out the first ten minutes of the workout and you'll see what I mean. By the end I was fighting just to finish, and I didn't think it would be cheating based off my understanding of the standards.

Kalsu First Half
Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Ah, BB, that explains it

Kevin, I'm not even half a strong as you but if you don't mind some criticism... Your burpees were quite UNstrict!.
Are your burpees strict 10 minutes into Kalsu? Kevin already posted it himself, but I was going to say to watch the first half of his workout.

Kevin, I loved watching the video of your second half. It does such justice to how horrible that workout is. I was laughing, but not at you... with you.

Last edited by Ryan Webernick : 04-30-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Simons View Post
My understanding of the standards is that 1) the chest has to hit the deck and that 2) you clap overhead while jumping, I don't think it matters how you get there. I haven't competed in any CF events though, so maybe others can offer their insight here.
I haven't competed either, but that's the standard my affiliate uses, too.

Katherine