CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I am 6'3", with a 6'5" wingspan.

When stretching to prepare for OHS (and snatch), I found my 'optimal' grip distance cannot be accomodated by the standard 7' olympic bar. Attempts at doing yesterday's WOD anyway on a 7' bar were borderline comical. Thus I carried it out on the only suitable thing I could find, a pole vaulting pole. Great for letting me spread my grip out, bad for doing the lifts with the prescribed 45lbs.

What to do? I have two possible solutions, more are certainly welcomed:
1) Bide my time doing low weight (pole vaulting pole) reps until I can find/afford a +7' foot bar?

or

2) Work on my flexibility until my lanky self can do it on a 7' bar?

Been Zoning for about 3 weeks, Crossfitting for about two. Already getting visible fat loss (I was 10% or so upon starting... six pack is starting to make an appearance) and getting in much, MUCH better shape.

I had long prescribed to the philosophy of treating food as a drug and the goal of working out is to optimize overall physical fitness, but had difficulty finding a good, proven solution to address them. The Zone and Crossfit have done that, and I am tremendously pleased with both.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:44 AM   #2
jason lake

Profile:

This may not help much, but as an illustration: the Bulgarian super heavyweight silver medalist is ~6`9".
Old 08-29-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I'm not familiar enough with powerlifting... does this 6'9" tall fellow use a 7' bar?

If so, it would seem I need to work on my flexibility.

Anyone know of good stretches for increasing one's flexibility in the OHS?

Right now the only one I know of is holding a light pole overhead and rotating it back until it touches your back. If I keep working with that will it eventually get me doing OHS on a 7' bar?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:15 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Just as a point of info, powerlifting and olympic lifting are two completely different sports. Only olympic lifting is contested in the Olympics. It consists of the snatch and clean and jerk. Powerlifting consists of the squat, bench press, and deadlift.

Yes, it's a sore point. :happy: As a competitive powerlifter, I got real tired of being asked about when I was going to be in the Olympics...
Old 08-29-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
Scott Parker

Profile:
chris, like you, i'm tall: 6'2", with a positive ape index as well, and actually think that this works to my advantage when doing OH squats. the reason is we're able to place our hands out against the collars where (for me at least) it's easier to lock out your arms.

scott
Old 08-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Lynne-
Lesson learned. Thanks for informing me.

Scott-
I've tried this, but the instability when getting the bar back there is uncomfortable and feels like it could be dangerous/injurous.

Any ideas on stretches to do to help me out (outside of the one I've mentioned already)?

-Chris
Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Best exercise I have done for this is to take a long bar with no weight (like a wood pole) and hold it at the distance I can rotate my arms/shoulders all the way around from in front of me to behind me. Do it gently and note where the stiffness is. Do it enough times to work through the stiffness then bring the grip in slightly and start again. I hope this makes sense. If not, I can try to describe it better.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
oops - just reread the thread - seems that the stretch I mention is the one you know. For me - it did increase my flexibility. But I did it frequently throughout the day a few times for the weeks I was really working on shoulder flexibility.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:05 PM   #9
Tim Johnson

Profile:
I am nearly 6' 4" and had some flexibility issues when I taught myself OHS. Here's what I did. Grab the flex bands at your gym and do the stretch you do with the broom stick. The trick is to vary the width as you rotate your arms over your head and back and down. The stretch bands help you do this. Hold the stretch at your various sticking points. Your body will tell you where.

Also, once you're warmed up, be sure to activate your muscles by grabbing the band close to the center and really stretching it out wide. This will increase your shoulder and lat strength and give you a better stretch.

Tim
Old 08-29-2004, 09:50 PM   #10
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Coach Sommer recommended a good shoulder flexibility exercise a while ago. It's similar to what you all are describing, with a few additional pointers that should help while you're doing the stretch:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-coaches/s...article001.htm