CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Matthew Gogel

Profile:
Strength Concerns

Hello again,
I'm new to CrossFit. I am formerly a wrestler who has kept pretty active since I stopped competing. However, over time the emphasis of my training has leaned slightly in favor of strength training over cardiovascular conditioning. I have always continued to do circuit training and sprints...however I've allowed myself to fall into a pattern where lifting takes priority and its hurt my cardio conditioning when I compare my endurance with my abilities when I was wrestling.

I starting crossfit to round myself out better and primarily to build my endurance and ability to work hard for extended periods of time. Going in I have pretty good strength and I'm concerned that I may lose some of it from migrating away from a more progression oriented approach to lifting weights. I am 170lbs...I bench about 350 lbs, I can do 6 pull ups with 90lbs of weight added and deadlift around 300 lbs.

Can I expect that my bench press and ability to do pull ups will continue to increase by doing the WOD on the main page? I'm sure my deadlifts should because I don't train those regularly now, but I'm concerned that I'll lose upper body strength.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Strength Concerns

Pull ups shouldn't be a problem, bench will probably drop due to not a whole lot of benching.

Have you looked at CFSB? You can always add in some heavy benching to the mainsite WOD. Or do an ME black box. Or do CFFB.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

8 months into CrossFit, my bench has basically not changed with virtually no extra benching added to the mainsite WOD's. Your mileage will probably vary, as my bench was never as developed as yours (I'm around 205-210).

However, I'd point out that your bench and deadlift numbers are way, way out of whack. Ideally you'd probably want to hold that bench number steady while improving your DL dramatically. That of course, is way easier said than done.

Personally, I'd forget about my bench #'s completely for awhile and work on shoring up the other areas of fitness. But then again, it's your fitness and your goals, so only you can make that decision.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Just add a day of heavy bench each week. CF.com WODs will take care of the weaknesses, but you'll need to add bench work if you hope to maintain a 2xBW bench. But seriously, your main focus should be squats and deads if your numbers are that far outta wack.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Alex Europa

Profile:

Other than the fact that you worked so hard to get there, why are you worried about maintaining that level of bench press strength? In other words, would your performance suffer if your bench decreased to 315 lbs, yet every other facet of your fitness (e.g.: the 10 components of fitness - W/F/S) improved significantly?

Would it hurt you to suppliment the CrossFit programming with some extra bench pressing? No. However, you would be much better served to spend that time and effort improving your weaknesses (have you seen CrossFit Seattle's Athletic Skill Levels - W/F/S).

- Alex

Last edited by Alex Europa : 05-05-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
Matthew Gogel

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think its just going to take some time for my mind to embrace different performance criteria as the barometer for my fitness level. It's clear to me that athletcism is not just about bench pressing and doing pull ups, however those have been my most consistently measured exercises for several years. Several times I've worked to put more focus on my sprint times, my 400 meter times, and my mile run. Each time I've done it...I have seen slow progress right away. I run a mile in just over 6 minutes. Each time I've tried to make a shift to emphasize other areas, I've gone through maybe a month and I'm still running about a 6 minute mile...meanwhile my bench has suffered. So, I find myself thinking...before I started I could run about a 6 minute mile and bench 2XBW, now I run the same mile time and my strength is down.

I like CrossFit's ability to see that there are many important aspects of fitness...but staying the course in rounding things out will be more difficult if I see my overall performance worsen due to strength loss before I see real improvement in other areas.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

You're obviously really strong....in some areas.

I think you'll see increases in your deadlift from crossfit. Also...no squat numbers?

In any case, you sound like you are on the right track. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Brian Solar

Profile:

You could do CFSB with some added bench days. I'm currently doing it while benching at school and am improving both my strength and metcon times. Bench has gone from 185to 215 in about a month. Squat has improved 30# and deadlift has improved 15#(already had a fairly high DL compared to other lifts).
Old 05-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Scott Diehl

Profile:

This is adding nothing to this thread, but I just wanted to comment that Brian has one of the coolest profile pics I've seen on here.
Cindy: 30 rds -- Murph: 27:21 -- Tabata Something Else: 445 -- Deadhang Pullups: 32 -- CFT: 1005
Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Where can I find the info for CFSB/CFFB/ME BlackBox?

I apologize if that's a dumb question.

Thanks,

TB