CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Donald Maxwell

Profile:
Low Carb Pasta

Since the American public went through its last major protein diet phase four years ago, many companies have introduced low carb alternatives to some basic foods.

Dakota Growers Pasta introduced their Dreamfields brand of pasta about three years ago. The basic claim is 41 gm carbs per serving, but only 5 gm of "digestible" carbs.

When looking at this from the point view of controlling blood sugar and insulin levels, there may be more involved that what the label on the box indicates.

Do any of the more experience zoners out there have any experience with these types of substitute products?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Low Carb Pasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Maxwell View Post
Since the American public went through its last major protein diet phase four years ago, many companies have introduced low carb alternatives to some basic foods.

Dakota Growers Pasta introduced their Dreamfields brand of pasta about three years ago. The basic claim is 41 gm carbs per serving, but only 5 gm of "digestible" carbs.

When looking at this from the point view of controlling blood sugar and insulin levels, there may be more involved that what the label on the box indicates.

Do any of the more experience zoners out there have any experience with these types of substitute products?
Not real food (wfs):

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/pdfs..._spaghetti.pdf

I'm highly skeptical of "protected carbs" (i.e., protected from digestion). Sounds like typical attempt by agribusiness to jump on the latest nutritional buzz bandwagon.

I think this is analogous to the vegan eating soy-based, meat-like products to substitute for real meat. If you're going to eat pasta, eat small quantities, infrequently, and the real thing.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

It's a Frankenfood. That's not desirable.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
James E Sutton

Profile:

What about shirataki noodles? I read about them in an article the other day that said they're basically no carbs. Other than that I know basically nothing about them.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Why would I deliberately eat something that's "not digestible?" Would I sprinkle shredded corn cobs over my salad?

If you want reduced GI eat whole wheat pasta. If you want to reduce carbs, skip the pasta altogether or have a smaller portion. But eat food.

Katherine
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
Donald Maxwell

Profile:

Skipping or reducing is certainly the correct choice.

Problem is that I don't have the entire house on zone (yet), or reduced carb, and I'm trying not to have to cook two meals when they are calling for a pasta night.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Make em eat more bacon. Bacon makes everything better, i.e. World Peace, Balanced Budget, Less Vegetarians, the list is endless.

Bacon is then New Black.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Pasta is never about pasta. Pasta is about sauce.

- Make a VERY robust sauce loaded with veggies and sausage/meatballs/whatever, and boil regular (or whole wheat) pasta separately. Make your plate light on noodles, heavy on sauce.
- Steam some green beans or cauliflower for yourself to have in lieu of pasta. Almost any sauce that goes well with pasta will go well with these, and it's hardly any extra effort.
- Some folks like using spaghetti squash instead of noodles. Personally I don't much care for this, but others love it, so hey.
- I make a baked "pasta" casserole that typically consists of a whopping 1/2 cup of pasta - the rest is other stuff that will absorb the sauce nicely. Broccoli, tempeh, sausage, ground beef, etc.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Firstly, I would not suggest you begin to consume non-food in your quest for health. The next step is eating tissues for lunch. They are also not digestible I believe.

A big problem with pasta is of course, how easy it is to overeat. This is especially true at restaurants where it is commonplace to see platefuls of pasta that are simply a carb coma waiting to happen.

So if you are making dinner, your family wants pasta, you don't want to cook two dinners... then make the pasta, make it whole wheat, weigh it on a scale dry - 2 ounces dry per person, or less. Whatever bulk you need to add to your pasta dish, do so with any combination of low calorie vegetables you desire.

If you make some good home made meatballs, a robust flavorful sauce, add generous portions of brocolli, peppers, mushrooms, onions, spinach etc. (whatever you like), nobody will notice or care that they are only getting a little bit of actual pasta.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Laura Kurth

Profile:

hmm I just realise my post is basically exactly what Daniel said. Ha, apologies!