CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-20-2003, 03:46 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
As some of you may know, one of my near term fitness goals (at least for the next couple of years) is to be able to function with a relative ease in a no-oxygen environment (i.e. underwater). That will require me to be able to do the most physical work and for the longest time, with only the oxygen that is in my lungs and blood.

In other words, I´m always looking for ways with which to increase my Oxygen Capacity, and reduce my Oxygen consumption with activity. Do more, with less.

Now, I know the routine a lot of freedivers follow (Hypoxic weight training) and I´m not too thrilled about it, first because it will hurt my strenght, power and stamina, and second because you´re just begging for an injury. Being away from serious training due to injury is something I cannot afford.

So how can I modify or modulate my current training to help get better at the areas listed? Should I just try and do crossfit «with less breaths»? Should I do more anaerobic/interval training? More aerobic training?

Somehow, I know the more sadist among us are thinking (Hypoxic Crossfit, now that´s a whole new challenge)

And BTW, I have not seen an increase or progress in my apnea from following any intense fitness protocol in the past.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:56 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
What is hypoxic training? Could you provide a link with more information or something?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2003, 06:58 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Alexander:

I used to know a guy who trained (at sea level) for altitude events by doing his workouts breathing through a snorkel sort of thing.

It wasn't all *that* strange . . . just the mouthpiece and two flexible tubes (18 inches each, about 0.5 meter) which passed around behind his neck and were tied together at his back, with the ends of each open.

He didn't wear a face mask or anything.

The idea, as he explained it, was that each exhalation would fail to completely clear the tube, so that the following inhalation would include a mix of "outside" air and the re-breathed air from the tube (which had a higher CO2 content, and lower O2 content).

He claimed this helped him prepare for the lower oxygen levels at altitude.

I have no idea how well it worked, but he was something of an aerobic animal, and reasonably fit all-around.

Dave
Old 10-20-2003, 04:28 PM   #4
F

Profile:

I have a good idea what you're working towards...
Underwater lengths, in interval fashion (ie - 25-40m underwater, every 2 minutes on the 2 minutes, 4-5 sets) works well. Disturbed breathing work (like David Wood suggests above) is easy too, just use your issued gas mask a couple times a week along with crossfit workouts or swim workouts.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:37 PM   #5
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Just a silly little thing but..how long can you hold your breath?