CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-06-2003, 10:16 AM   #1
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Just received the kb today. Wow. It feels a lot heavier than the 1 pd. And feels much heavier than a 55# dumbbell. A little intimidating actually! Did some two hand swings with it; popping it up is easy, but the downward swing is tough for me to slow at the end. Controlling half my bwt is quite the challenge. It's going to be a while before I have the ability to snatch this thing.

This beast should also improve my grip. I swear this handle is thicker than the 1 pd...my little paws are going to have a tremendous workout! I'll be practicing outside for a while. No need to have it break something if I lose my grip...

Old 09-07-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
Gary Lyons

Profile:  
Kelly, if you tackle this with the same determination you've displayed with the WODs you will master this kb too.

Gary
Old 09-24-2003, 09:51 PM   #3
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Kelly,
I am new to the site, but have been lifting KBs for almost two years, got certified as a RKC Instructor in June. Please feel free to email me with any KB Qs at tcorrigan4@earthlink.net
Tom
Old 09-25-2003, 02:54 AM   #4
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Thanks Tom! I appreciate the offer and I am quick to ask questions. :happy:

I'm finally one hand swinging the beast for a few reps. They are feeling OK, but I'm definitely not ready to try a snatch. I'll just keep sneaking up on it.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Kelly,

do you have the dragondoor KB videos? If so, what is your opinion of them? Please post any questions or email me.

Tom
Old 10-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Kelly,

Forgot to add this IMPORTANT tip on KB swings. When it's coming down, GUIDE it with your arms, and CATCH it with your hamstrings (i.e. let them LOAD UP - like you are getting ready to do a vertical jump). Fold at the hips and stick your butt back. Hope these tips help.

Tom
Old 10-09-2003, 07:44 PM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Tom,

Thank you for the info. I tried "guiding and catching" for a few reps this morning with the beast and they went much better. I do have two dragondoor KB videos; I actually prefer the femme fatale one as it seems to go into greater detail regarding the excercises.

I see tomorrow's WOD is a swing/pullup combo. I'm debating trying my improved technique with the 1 1/2 pd rather than the 1 pd...but maybe I should use the 1 pd so I have something left to try snatching the beast later.

Tom, do you know of any kb competitions being held in the Wisconsin area? I would really like to meet these athletes and give competition a try.