CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Ron Hendrix

Profile:
Question about the Zone Diet?

I understand how the diet works, my question is more specifically how do you make the diet work when you're the only one doing it in your household.

My wife doesn't want to alter the way she cooks in order to meet Zone diet requirements and we would like to avoid having to cook two seperate dinners every night. I undestand where she's coming from since she's not trying to lose weight or maximize her perfromance for anything, so I'm not imposing a lifestyle change that she doesn't want to partake in on her. Has anyone else had to deal with this or know any practical solutions?

I imagine that I'd just have to measure out whatever she makes for dinner and try to make it work in the confines of whatever blocks I have for dinner, but I thought there might be an easier solution (that doesn't include me just making dinner for the both of us and she hating it). Thanks.

Ron
Old 10-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Question about the Zone Diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hendrix View Post
I imagine that I'd just have to measure out whatever she makes for dinner and try to make it work in the confines of whatever blocks I have for dinner
Yep. If you don't want to make 2 dinners then this is the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Hendrix View Post
but I thought there might be an easier solution
If your wife won't work with you, then nope, there isn't one.

Last edited by George Mounce : 10-18-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Wow, I have exactly the same situation as you.

What I've learned is that there must be compromise. We only really eat dinner together, so for the most part I measure and weight for breakfast etc, then just eyeball method at dinner with whatever she cooks. If there's the wrong kinds of carbs, I either don't eat them, or make very small portions and pile on the fruits and veggies instead. It's not ideal and it's not completely accurate, but that's what compromises are. It keeps conflict at bay.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Zach S

Profile:

Hi Ron, i think i know you from somewhere.
<--babs

Can you be more specific on some of the things that she plans on cooking? Like i said on the other forum, maybe you guys can start swapping foods out for a more paleo diet, then over time you guys can work on some zone based meals. This would not only benefit you but your wife and baby.

Or Bens idea is pretty good where you go strict breakfast, lunch and snacks and either eat her dinner as cooked or try to eyeball a zone meal from it. The cool part about the zone is it only takes one meal to get back on the zone so one non zone meal a day isnt to bad.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Ron Hendrix

Profile:

Well I actually am getting her to try eating some of the Zone meals, so that's a start. Hopefully she likes them enough so that we can eat pretty close as possble to the Zone diet as possible.

And Zach, in general, she just doesn't want to alter her own homemade receipes for chili, hot dogs, salsbury steak, et. al. She cooks pretty healthy, just a lot carbs with a hgh GI. Right now I'm gonna go do basically what Ben's suggested though. Marriage is about compromise.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

Thats what i was thinking, if its going to be homemade recipes then compromise is the better answer. If theres anything you could replace though like say mashed potatoes with mashed couliflower or yams. Stuff like that.

Good luck on the zone!