CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #101
Matt Bahen

Profile:
Re: Melissa W's Workout Log (Cue 1980s training montage)

You just get smarter and smarter in my book! Calling in after lunch and going to a massage therapist is awesome! Jealous is me! Don't sweat the burpee challenge if the 300 WOD is your "goal." The burpee challenge is just something we crazy folk are doing to fill the time but if you want to concentrate on a different goal then I say focus on your recovery and get to 100% for Saturday!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #102
Christin Street

Profile:

I hope the back is better, Melissa! Don't sweat the Burpee Challenge. You really should listen to your body. As you know I have lots of reservations about the Challenge though, so I'm not a good one to ask!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #103
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bahen View Post
You just get smarter and smarter in my book! Calling in after lunch and going to a massage therapist is awesome! Jealous is me!
Ha ha, it does sound rather *glamorous* doesn't it? I am soooo living the rockstar life! Right now I am sitting at my desk with an ice pack shoved in the back of my pants. It seems an army of enraged gnomes attacked my glute last night with their tiny fists.

But the good news is, gnome attack notwithstanding, I am not near as stiff today. Even after sitting at my desk for most of the day. Progress, yippee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
I hope the back is better, Melissa! Don't sweat the Burpee Challenge. You really should listen to your body. As you know I have lots of reservations about the Challenge though, so I'm not a good one to ask!
Thanks, Christin! The main thing is that I hate to back out of a challenge. And I really do need improvement on my burpees and I feel like the challenge was really helping my push-ups. I have misgivings now about the repetitive nature of the challenge and whether it might affect my back again even once it's healed up. But I am going to need to do burpees in my WODs anyway so I am thinking of re-joining the challenge and just paying closer attention to form, scaling and/or breaking up the quantities as necessary to avoid too much stress on my back.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #104
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

Crossfit Central has posted the new promotional video for the Spartan 300 Challenge. A pudgier version of me is in it -- doing KB clean and press! Ha ha, wow, I have come a long way! I think they must have filmed all this footage during the initial 300 workout, because all the footage looks like the old gym and I know that all us non-Crossfit-coach type people in it are much leaner and meaner now, 12 weeks later. But still, it's pretty cool to see. I hope they do some filming at the final 300 workout on August 30 so we can see our progress as a group. This coming Saturday Aug 2 will be the 12-week check-in, and I (and my back) should be ready for it!

http://www.vimeo.com/1437195 (w/f/s)

Long live the Spartans!!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #105
Matt Bahen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Whittle View Post
Ha ha, it does sound rather *glamorous* doesn't it? I am soooo living the rockstar life! Right now I am sitting at my desk with an ice pack shoved in the back of my pants. It seems an army of enraged gnomes attacked my glute last night with their tiny fists.
...Army of enraged Gnomes......INTENTIONALLY shoving ice down your pants...

You're killing me Rockstar! I love it! Very cool video! I missed this so called "pudgier" you though. I'll have to watch it again but I think you're pulling my leg! Seriously, I also hope that you get videotaped again so the new lean, mean you can rock on with your bad self! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #106
Carla Tremblay

Profile:

I love the video Melissa! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #107
Bonny Guang

Profile:

Haha niiiiice. Love the video.

If you're planning on sticking with the burpee challenge, I'd break it up into sets of however many you feel you can do, interspersed throughout the day. I just do sets of 10 at a time. Maybe that will spread out the intensity? I wouldn't know anything though, I've never injured my back.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #108
Mike Bishop

Profile:

Whats up girl. So I finally made it over to your log and after reading it man am I impressed. Look at how much your DL and Squat have gone up in this short time. Like Matt said you are a Rockstar!

I checked out the video, I saw you. Doesn't it make you feel even better about how well you have done after seeing a picture or in this case a video of you when you started. Man I would be having the cheesest smile on if I was you.

Thanks for visiting my log. I will check back often. You rock.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #109
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

I finally saw the video, but I had to take it off HD so my Atari computer could display it clearly. Nicely done, I didn't see any pudgies during the KB C&P segment, either.

The 300 workout is pretty much the catalyst that got me into CF. The company that does most of the sprint triathlons that I've done down here, put together a 300 Challenge. I never entered it, but I started doing the scaled--down version of the workout at home. Nevertheless, I'd really like to give the Spartan challenge a go in the not-to-distant future. I hope your back lets you give the 8/2 300 workout a shot, so you/we can see how far you've come!

Allow me to wave my Sceptor of Geekdom over your head, for good luck!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #110
Melissa Whittle

Profile:

Matt - Uh, how do you *accidentally* shove ice down your pants???

Carla - Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny Guang View Post
If you're planning on sticking with the burpee challenge, I'd break it up into sets of however many you feel you can do, interspersed throughout the day.
Bonny - Good advice, that's what I'm trying. If it still builds up to be too much, I'm going to try to listen to my body this time and find some other challenge. But for now, I am going to get me some burpees!

Mike - Glad you made it over and thanks for the encouraging words. I'm kind of torn on seeing myself overweight in the video because I am a rather vain person really. But then I feel pretty proud of myself for making so much progress over the past few weeks. It's just opened up my reality to new possibilities. Give me a few more months, and I will be lifting the elite weight on most of the WODs.

Dave - Ha ha, Atari computer! I hope you get to do the 300 challenge next time it comes around. I know Crossfit Central will do it again next year, so if nothing else you could join in on the fun with me in 2009!

I must admit, I am a little afraid of you waving your Sceptor of Geekdom though.

Well I did it, and my back was fine:

8/2/08 - Crossfit Central
"300"
25 pull-ups (jumping/half-a**edly kipping)
50 deadlifts (65lbs)
50 push-ups (~25 from feet, balance from knees)
50 box jumps (20" box, 25 jumping up&down/ 20 stepping/ 5 jumping)
50 floor wipers (45lb)
50 KB clean & jerks (~15 with 12kg, balance 8kg)
25 pull-ups (jumping)
(Given 20min to complete)

20:19

I went 65lbs with the deadlift and I know I could go more, probably 75 or 80 at 50 consecutive reps. Last time I did this WOD it was with the bar only (45lb) and I found that was too easy so I wanted to increase the weight this time without putting too much strain on my back. It was a good compromise, and I was able to focus on form and still get it done quickly. Halfway through the box jumps, I had to signal to Dean to bring me my inhaler, but I only paused briefly to use it. I did 20 step-ups, then completed the last 5 reps with jumps again. I am now pretty sure that the floor wipers were counted incorrectly the last time I did the WOD, on 6/7. Some of the volunteers keeping count for us yesterday seemed confused about how to count them (both the right and left side equals one rep). I was in such a mental haze last time I remember being surprised that they were over so quickly, but I wasn't able to keep count myself. This time I was mentally present the whole time and I made sure my helper counted them right. On the KB clean-to-press, I am basically in between weight right now. The 12kg was a bit too heavy and the 8kg a little light. During the final pull-ups my arms were giving out but Coach Mike let me finish even though time was called because I was so close.

I was happy with the way I was able to keep going during the WOD instead of stopping for a lot of breaks. When I did stop, I tried to take 10 sec or less. Next time I will just plan to have my inhaler handy so if I need to use it I won't use up any time doing so.

On the body composition, I have dropped another 0.9% within the past 3 weeks, now down to 28.3%BF. I started the challenge 12 weeks ago at 34.6%. It's happening, little by little. People keep commenting to me on my progress, on how much thinner I look...and I keep saying, "Oh, I'm not done yet!"

Also, I am back on the Burpee Train. I have been working on keeping them tight form-wise instead of rushing through them.