CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Nancy Caceres

Profile:
Dont have a rower

what can i do to replace roweing????
Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
John Biddle

Profile:
Re: Dont have a rower

The sub is sumo deadlift high pulls (1 per 10 m of rowing, for males with 45lb for females sorry not sure - see FAQs - a useful first port of call for lots of questions). Personally, I find that sub noticeably harder than erg rowing, but doable for short rows - 500 - 1,000m. For longer rows if that's what you're looking at, you might look at combining some running or cycling with some rowing type movements - the sumo deadlift high pulls, upright or bent over rowing, body rows for example.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
Chris Hitzroth

Profile:

The FAQ in question being here (and WFS): http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html
Old 03-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
John Biddle

Profile:

Should have thought you might be talking about subbing in the fight gone bad WOD today - if so, you like me run into the difficulty of not wanting to duplicate doing the sumo deadlift high pulls which are already in the WOD. There's a current thread under the "Workout of the Day" heading on the message board that discusses this - another suggestion is jumping pull-ups. I've done burpees in the past as the sub for rowing in the fight gone bad WOD - nasty.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
Nancy Caceres

Profile:

Hey, thanks for the ideas and references, and yes, I was talking about fight gone bad. I noticed that no one ever mentions the seated calble rows to sub for that, is that not a good idea and would you know why? it has the same rowing movements, just not the legs, but at a light weight someone could do a challenging minute, dont you think so???
Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Chad Skola

Profile:

cable rows you are not really moving your legs. they are just in an iso-metric action. This is not bad, but since rowing includes concentric and eccentric actions to me it just would not dupplicate. I guess if you dropped the stack and got into a squat position every rep then it could maybe be a good sub. the seats just are not the best to be sliding back and forth on that much.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.