CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #61
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Re: Inspirational Quotes

Speaking of Arnold, he had one along the lines of: It's always the mind that fails first, never the body.

I can't remember where I saw it though.

howard
Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #62
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

It is this, “…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.”-Socrates
Old 04-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #63
Bruce Duco

Profile:

The Litany Against Fear from the book Dune

"I shall not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little-death that bring total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when the fear has passed, I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 04-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #64
Kevin Mack

Profile:

Here's a bunch of my favorites:

Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes. --Benjamin Disraeli

When the will defies fear, when duty throws the gauntlet down to fate, when honor scorns to compromise with death - that is heroism. --Robert Green Ingersoll

Let those who would write heroic poems make their life an heroic poem. --John Milton

The ordinary man is involved in action, the hero acts. An immense difference. --Henry Miller

A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom. --Bob Dylan

A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. --Joseph Campbell

It is better to be the widow of a hero than the wife of a coward. --Dolores Ibarruri

The average is the borderline that keeps mere
men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
act. Go. --Henry Rollins

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem of innocence inside you that makes you want to believe that there still exists a right and wrong, that decency will somehow triumph in the end. --Lise Hand

Great occasions do not make heroes or cowards; they simply unveil them to the eyes of men. --Bishop Westcott

Return with your shield or on it. --Spartan Proverb (This was an actual proverb as well as being used in the movie 300)

One man with courage makes a majority. --Andrew Jackson
Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #65
Daniel Fannin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
"Anne was talking and once in a while words slipped out aloud. She was asking herself some questions this morning. This was what facing the water you were about to jump into did. She's forgotten how it always did that. You had to be sure, to jump in. Had to be. To know exactly what you wanted out of it and how much that was worth to you. How much of a price you were willing to pay for what you wanted. If what you wanted was a lot you could bet the price would be high and it would come from your own flesh. Yes, yes, you could bet on it. And she wasn't so certain right now because, before, the goal had always been clear. Now the goal had changed....and because it hadn't yet become clear she wasn't really sure what she'd be willing to give. Always brought you back to how much you had to give. Then you understood something fundamental about yourself, risked knowing through and through the value you placed on your own effort. Risked finding out what was the carrot that led you on and what was the yearning that kept you going and what was the music that made you dance....

....So she wondered, asked herself discomforting questions until as escape she became aware of only one thing clearly, one desire the desire to swim now. Throw all this quesitoning junk to the winds because it would never be sorted out now and maybe it would never be sorted out ever and there really just on thing clear and that was to swim now....

It was silence that sparkled gold-stained blue and white at goggle level while she breaststroked. It was silence and she'd remembered again what the phrase blessed silence meant. All the babble and clutter. All the books, languages, words spoken, ideas important or trifling, bombardment of sights and of sounds. All cut away with a whooosh! and splash and then the gliding in continual rhythm.......In the first rush of silence she knew how much it was worth to her."

Susie

I think I teared up a little reading that. Life finds me continually chasing the carrots, and when I finally get a little nibble it tastes good enough that I chase it again for years....
Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #66
Adolfo Riveron

Profile:

not sure if it was said earlier
"he who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man"
Old 04-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #67
David Meverden

Profile:

One of my new favorites. It's from the author of the book Fight Club:

“We are a nation of physical animals who have forgotten how much we enjoy being that. We are cushioned by this kind of make-believe, unreal world and we have no idea what we can survive because we are never challenged or tested.”
Chuck Palahniuk

At least for me part of the appeal of these brutal workouts is to get in touch with that physical animal: The one that's now remembering how much it loves to race, pull, climb, push with everything it's got, and test what it's truly capable of.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #68
Paul Cox

Profile:

"You cant hug the tree forever, you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit..... Are you just hugging the tree???"
Old 04-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #69
Barry Cooper

Profile:

1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
3. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
4. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
5. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
6. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
7. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
9. You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
10. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.

Rev. William J. H. Boetcker
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #70
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Hello Barry,

I think I've seen that before...but I thought it was Lincoln for some reason?? Am I just remembering incorrectly?

howard