CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2004, 11:59 AM   #1
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Prior to starting Crossfit in December, I used to run 4-5 times per week, at 3-6 miles per run, sometimes longer on a weekend. My litmus test for fitness was a run up a hill (Mt. Nittany near Penn State, for those who've been there) with the goal to do it in under 30 minutes. Doing so leaves me ready to hurl, when I can do it. Last done in October.

Separated my shoulder in October, and haven't run since other than what crossfit dictates. No workouts in November. Gained 6 LBs over holidays. Workouts for last 4 months have been Crossfit, and ski patrolling 3-4 times per week.

So today, I went home to get stuff for working out in the gym at lunch (heavy deadlifts today) but decided to do the run since the weather was so nice. I've been dying to see what my time would be. It's about a 1000' foot gain over 3+ miles.

Ended up doing it in 31:28, which was disappointing in a way, but better than I could have expected in another way. Last spring, after the winter layoff, I did it in 35:00. I should be able to get it under 30:00 in a month. There's a certain amount of gamesmanship in when to push anaerobic, and where you can recover, and I made a couple of small tactical errors. Plus, I forgot how much it hurts to push it.

The route is flat to descending for the first third, ascending paved road for the 2nd third, then steep trail for the remainder. One key is to run hard on the flats. I didn't feel all that limber, and the stride wasn't "greased". Thanks, squats. : )

What surprised me a little was the sticking point on the top third was my lower back. It was screaming as I was finishing up, and I felt I had some extra aerobic capacity that I wasn't able to use. Surprising, after a winter of squats, C&Js, DLs, and other Crossfit stuff. Steep hill climbing is its own exercise.

Just thought I'd share the experience. I kept a surprising amount of fitness for the climb through the winter.