CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
TABATA: Does the body good!

After doing a good 8 round session of TABATAs in my home 1 hr before doing a Duathlon this past Sunday morning, I was pleasantly surprised at how warm my body still was. Standing outside in the chilly morning air waiting for the event to start, I could not help but to notice that a good number of people who were shivering and a lot of them were more covered up than I was. I was only wearing running shorts and a few layers of short sleeve athletic t-shirts.
I actually felt awkward thinking that I should be shivering also but wasnít. Then I realized that it must have been the TABATA that I did an hour before. I did a combination of pushups and overhead DB presses for 8 rounds, alternating between the two routines per round. I did it just to get the blood flowing and the body lose before going out. Since the event was in my home town and the start/finish line was literally right down the street, I just rode my bike down to the park where it was held. I did good over all in the event for myself that is. I did not finish among the top but I did finish ahead of a lot of other people, and a lot of people did not finish at all. I finished in just under 2.5 hours and getting in a round TABATAs beforehand really helped to give me that last minute body priming that I needed. There was no real need for me to jump around and run around like a lot of people did that morning prior to the start. Iím not saying that that is a bad thing, I just noticed that I did not have to do any extra prep work for the body. So for my first ever Dualthlon, I did pretty good for my 255lb 6ft 5in 46 yr old body frame. And I did it with just my little 'ol (Giant-large frame) mountain bike. The funny thing is, I blew passed a lot of those speedy little racing bikes going downhill because I had a lot of weight and momentum on my side but they kicked my arse going up hill. Oh well, good times...good times! At least my running was solid, I averaged in at 8.5 minutes per mile. Not bad for a Clydesdale classification.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Re: TABATA: Does the body good!

Good show, Peter! I'll remember this before my next big event.