CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
Jake Nichols

Profile:
I have been training my grandparents ,who are in their 80's, for about three months now. My grandfather is doing great and enjoys it. Grandma on the other hand does the workouts only when I am there. She told me she knows she needs them but does not like working out. I need suggestions on things I might do to make the workout more fun for her. Bear in mind their ablities are limited ie. cannot do full ROM squats or shoulder presses yet and we have to stay inside because of the heat.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
Monique T. Ames

Profile:
try the rower
our 72 yr female LOVES it
its easy on the body but allows her to push as hard as she can each time and you can gauge progress

Have her squat to a bench if possible and do shoulder work with a stick, then light weight, I highly reccommend the 15 lb aluminum oly bar from www.againfaster.com

Also, try step ups (insist on proper form though)

Anyway, just some thoughts
Old 07-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Adam Head

Profile:
Jake, as Monique said, chair squats are great. Use a bench or chair that is high enough for comfort and have them focus on good form while they sit down and stand up. As far as motivation goes, have you tried getting them to work out together? Sometimes that helps with older couples. (I have a couple I train that are 60 and 65). One other thing that sometimes works is to make a deal. She agrees to give it a solid effort for 2-3 weeks, while you ask her to record how she feels every day; energy levels, moods, physical ailments, etc. . . Then after the time period, she can see for herself how much better she feels. Hope that helps and good luck.