CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
Well, my log starts here, a day late.

I'm logging as of now to see how things work out with my starting strength program. I'll be aiming at either two or three metcon WODs per week with two days of SS workouts and one day of sprint and jump training.

It goes like this:

WOD
SS - day 1
WOD
--REST
Sprints & Plyo
WOD
SS - day 2
--REST

Yesterday was meant to be a WOD (though I wasn't quite sure about those snatches). Some friends invited me to an impromptu flag football practice which went almost 3 hours. I'll call it a WOD. Lots of good sprinting and hard cuts = very tired ankles. Finished up with a 400m but I started too fast, blew up half-way through and jogged in for a 1:11. Yuk.

But I'm good to go this morning. Bring on the squats, bench, and DLs!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
Mike Gray

Profile:
Phew. That was tough.

I've been filming all my lifts and watching every set to work on self-coaching. (I'll be uploading some stuff for comment in a few days.) It's pretty humbling!

Anyway, I'm following SS programming in doing 3 sets of 5 reps for my work sets in all lifts except the DL, where I'm doing 1 set of 5 with a short break (say, 20 seconds) in between.

Ended up with this:

Squat: 3x5 @ 100kg
Bench: 3x5 @ 70kg
Dead: 1x5 @ 130kg

Feel like I took a pretty good thrashing. All that weight adds up! And by the time I was ready for DL I wasn't feel quite as fresh as I'd hoped. (I had planned on doing a 140kg.) We'll see if I'm up for WOD tomorrow or need to take an extra rest day.

Form issues: (1) BS: I'm having trouble keeping my chest up and back arched with the squat, and I don't always go all the way down. I also keep forgetting to look down.

(2) BP: *Relatively* good, I think, I've already had some digital coaching, and it really helped me get my feet solid and my shoulders back.

(3) DL: Struggling to keep my back arched going up. I can start OK, but the weight tends to pull me down.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Mike Gray

Profile:
Hm.

Did the WOD day before yesterday - and the combination of 11x8 SDHPs and 18x8 squats (and they deep, too - every single one of them) put my legs in a world of hurt. A little better today - so what do I do? Squats - whoopee! - and Cleans - yeehah!

In the other news: after getting some critique on my last SS workout, I'm doing about OK on the bench, but my squat and dl need a lit of work - and doing the right is tough.

Dropped back to 90kg on the BS today. I *was* getting standard depth with 90, but it was really, really tough. Last set I had to bail on squat 4. I think I'll stick to 90kg till I can complete it, then start upping the kgs.

Presses for the first time. Did a highly underwhelming 40kg - but I felt good about what I was doing. I think I have the moves right. Next round goes up to 43kgs. Since I'm benching 70kg, something in the 40s is probably about right.

Not so sure about my cleans. I did 3x5reps at 70kgs. I'd say I got about half of them pretty nice, but a lot of the others were dodgy. I'm going to have to film next time and get some critique. (Nasty wear and tear on the ego ... but necessary.)

I'm thinking seriously about just sticking to SS, with the addition of some weighted pullups. Getting video critique is forcing me to accept that I'm a lot weaker than I like to imagine; ergo, time to concetrate on strength.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Mike Gray

Profile:
Rats.

Got to feeling weird after my workout yesterday. Today I'm running a fever. Today was also the end of a long stretch of brutally cold, nasty weather - and I obviously survived on day too few.

Bother. We'll see what happens ...
Old 07-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Mike Gray

Profile:
Sigh.

So that's how a glaciar feels. The fever lasted only a day and the joints pains only a day beyond that, but the stomach trouble didn't leave until yesterday.

Weight last Wednesday post workout: 80.6 kg
Weight today post workout: 78.0 kg.

Bother. Though I suppose a lot of that is just stomach contents, I feel about 3 kg weaker.

Anyway, I did what I could.

BS: 5x85kg, 3 sets done well, I'd say.
BP: 3x70 kg fail; 2x 70kg, fail
DL: 5x110 kg

Bad stuff on the bench. I just couldn't get the bar up. Had to dump twice, which makes a hell of a racket. For some reason I didn't want to reduce weight. I should have.

The DL were done carefully, with particular attention to my lumbar curve, and I think I was good. I'll film again next time.

(Message edited by mikesusangray on July 16, 2007)
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Mike Gray

Profile:
Couldn't work out yesterday - too many meetings. But I got to it this morning still feeling a bit out from Tuesday's football practice. (Not a great practice - my legs were like wood - until we scrimmaged and a I ripped off a couple nice plays. But my legs have been the worse for wear.)

Once I got going, did OK.

BS back up to 90 kg. Going for 95 next time.

SP up to 45kg. First set full, second 3x, then fail, third set four times, then fail. I'll repeat 45 next time.

CL back to 70kg. I need to work on receiving with my elbows up. Right now when I receive my elbows are still in motion. I'm not doing an extra push, though, so I'm on the right path.

So far so good. Saturday I'll do SS inthe morning then go to flag training. may be a bit much, but you only live once!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Mike Gray

Profile:
No sleep last night - spent the whole night reading Harry Potter! I hadn't even planned to work out today, but after spending the whole day napping, evening rolled in and I felt like a needed a workout. Glad I did! That was nice.

Full CFWUx3, then:

BS: 5x95kg, 3 sets. I I wasn't sure I could get the last rep of the last set, sort of thought about going shallow. Then I thought, NO. Dropped all the way down and push it out. Wonderful feeling! Next time it's 100kg, baby!

BP: 4x72.5kg, 3x, 4x + f - I'll repeat this weight next time. My arch was too low on the early rounds. I'll improve form next time.

DL: 5x120kg
Old 07-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
Mike Gray

Profile:
Ugh. Not a good day at all. I felt like a damp rag.

In fact, I kept trying to stop, getting to the door of my workout room, reaizing what I was doing and turning around to continue. Some pain in my groin wasn't helping - I'm feeling those deep squats.

BS 100kg 4x + f, 4x + f, f (couldn't get my act together for the last set - the groin thing was part of the problem)

SP 45kg 2x + f, 40kg 3x + f, 2x + f

At this point I went down to 40kg on the CL and spent about 15 minutes working on form, from the hang.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Mike Gray

Profile:
Well, I've strained my groin and need to let it heal. I got in a football practice and some short sprint work at the park (throwing frisbees and catching them - then climbing my daughter's school building to get the frisbee down!) - but I'm not doing squats, DLs or cleans until my groin's OK.

Modified workout for today:

CFWU x 3

5 pullups with 12.5 kg in a backpack. 3 sets
5 SP at 42.5 kg. 3 sets. Got them all. Next time it's 45kg or bust.

After I had done my 3 sets of shoulder presses, I still had something left in the tank, so I tried to get a new 1x PR: 50kg. Nailed it! Baby!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Mike Gray

Profile:
Well. It's Monday, and I'm back from a week of vacation.

I worked out only twice on vacation - both times 5 rounds of 7 pullups from a wooden beam, 5 handstand pushups and 6 pistols (3 on each side). First tie preceded by a 20 minute run, second time by 20 minutes of sprint intervals.

But: my groin problem is still here. This is really annoying. However, I've discovered that I can do pistols without bothing my groin, so I'll be working on them instead of squats - and weighted back extensions, I guess. Really disappointing.

But I'm making some progress in the upper body area.

Today 5SP at 42.5, 3 sets
Then at 45kg: 4+f, 4+f, 2+f.

Then:
Weighted Pullups at 15kg
5x, 3 sets.