CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Wim Lokate

Profile:
At first, great reaction on a previous post werebuy a guy wanted to have some beach-muscles and were the reaction was that there arent many guys who used the weights prescribed at the WOD's that worried to much about beach-muscles.
I think to that when you can do all the exercises with the prescribed weights that you are stronger then most off all these beach-muscle guys.

Have one question;
I train at home so I dont have so much weights (about 120 kilo) and only one barbell and one EZ-barbell (for curls etc).
When you take a look at the workout from yesterday I am wondering how I can perform these exercises fast.
Because everytime I have to change the weights.
The exercises were:
Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight
Bench press: body weight
Clean: 3/4 body weight

So I have to put some weight for 10 deadlifts, then take some weights off for the bench press for 10 reps then I have to take more weights off for the clean for 10 reps.
Then I have to put weights on for the deadlift for 9 reps, take some weights off for the bench etc. etc.

I must say that it is impossible for me (and I think for the most beginners and maybay advanced trainers) to do 10 reps with your bodyweight for 10 reps.
My bodyweight is about 90 kilo's and I think I can only bench-press with 60 kilo for 10 reps.

Is there anyway that I can do this workout because I like this one very much.

Hope someone can give me some advice.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
I was in a similar situation. Do you have dumbbells? That's the only thing I can really think of based on what you said. I say use your plates and barbell for the deadlifts, use dbs for the other lifts. That's what I did, and sometimes if I had the energy I would just move as fast as a could shifting the weights between sets....actually added a little kick to the wod:-)
Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Wim Lokate

Profile:
Hello Benjamin,

It would be a good idead to use dumbells to but I hardly have weights for the deadlift so I dont have enough weights (must be around 90 kilo) to do the bench press etc. etc.
So for me thats not a option.
Maybay its a good idead when I use the lightest weight (that one for the clean, thats about 60 kilo's) and then perform all the exercises with the same weights. Or maybay put the heavist plates on the outside so that I can pull off weight fast (for example starting with 90 kilo for the deadlift) then fast remove two plates from 10 kilo's, and at last remove another 2 plates for the cleans.
As you said, it can be a workout off its own when you have to change the weights.
If anyone have other solutions I would be glad if they are willing to share that with me.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
William Hunter

Profile:
Let's face it, Linda is a hard WOD to perform as Rx'd, and also hard for most people to gather all the bars and plates they'd need to perform it even if they were capable.

I only have one bar at my house and I've had to create my own subs. For BP I've used dips/weighted dips/clapping and elevated pushups as subs (I now have DB's so I use them for BP). I've used the one bar and found a weight that I could use for both the clean and deadlift (not ideal but it's not like I didn't suffer). For my next go around (I follow a cycle behind) I'm going to try single leg DL's with a DB, DBBP, and regular cleans with the BB.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Wim Lokate

Profile:
He William,

thats a good idea. Good advice. Thanks.
I think you are right. There are not many people who can perform the WOD with the weights that they priscibed.
Thanks again.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
If you lack the weights:
www.craigslist.com
Pick your city, and search. It's amazing how much people want to get rid of their equipment, some of the stuff is free!

If you lack the strength:
Then join the club. I'm sure that given time, any and all of us will have the strength.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to WODs