CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #981
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: CF Games 2011 General Thread

Is there any way to watch the ending ceremony where they awarded the top finishers? I checked the archives and did not see it there.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #982
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Peterson View Post
That's why there's cash games in poker, generally a little more stable.

Big difference in CF v. poker IMO:

CF: start an affiliate or be a trainer and if you're a good enough athlete/competitor, potentially make some nice income from CF games &/or sponsorships. Decent living overall.

Poker: have people stake you into the higher buy in tourneys, run good for a big score and pay off your debts. Live high life for a year or 2 & run normally in tourneys then be broke. Very few poker pros (even some of the ones you see on TV a lot) are successful over time. If you play on the tournament circuit the big buy-ins can run you $150,000+/year, not including travel costs.

Even at your scaled CF Games payouts still not enough for more than a couple people to make a living solely from that.
I agree. There are very few poker players who haven't gone broke which is why I said all but the best haven't. In addition to getting a little lucky (especially with tournament variance) you need to have really good bank roll management. Sharing action between multiple people in the same tournament is always good as well.

The Internet really helped to speed things along though. Decent living can be made at 2/4+.

But yeah, if CF wanted to be more legitimate as a sport they would definitely need a much bigger prize pool, and a more even payout structure.

It seems nice to go with the big money (250k to the winner!), but for the sustainability it's not very good at all.

Anyway, to be honest the proposed structure I made on the last page is actually too much like a poker tournament cash payout. I think it should be spread more than it was.

1. 125k
2. 75k
3. 50k
4. 35k
5. 25k
6. 15k

To something like...

1. 85k
2. 65k
3. 50k
4. 35k
5. 25k
6. 20k
7. 15k
8. 12.5k
9. 10k
10. 7.5k

Or somewhere thereabouts. Of course, 85k vs 250k doesn't sound as good...... but at least the #4-10 athletes have something that will help them with their training for their troubles while the top 3 can still live off that.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #983
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Rich was ahead by so much going into the final 3 that he would have had to finish dead last in all of them and had Bridges or Smith win all of them to lose, or pretty close to that. Since all 3 were worth the same amount of points and he only needed to win one of them to lock in the victory it made sense to sandbag the last one. Btw, he didnt stop once during the 6 minute workout, it was absolutely insane, while I had hoped to see him do the same thing for the final one I can understand why he didn't or couldn't.

During the team workouts, only CFNE had a girl who could easily do dips and it was over from there, The Rocklin girl only finally finished her last dips as pretty much everyone else was done. CFNE's Karen guy did 122 wallballs before stopping ....not counting the 20 or so reps that got no rep'd, and from my point of view every single one, even the no reps looked legit, but I imagine from my angle I couldnt tell when the ball bounced below the line and carried above it, which I guess didnt count. I did the math and his Karen time was 6-6:30, nothing spectacular, but I imagine he was really worn down from the rest of the weekend and he had a crap ton of no reps.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #984
Chris Mason

Profile:

I don't have the time to read this whole thread , but I want to say that I was at the Games and it was amazing! Seeing the athletes in action is just an awesome experience!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #985
Doug Lantz

Profile:

Chris,

Were you wearing a Westside Barbell T on Saturday ?

I suspected that was you walking in front of me and wanted to ask but frankly I get a bit intimidated by a human eclipse.

I spent as much or more time chatting with people as I did watching competition.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #986
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

In the CF Games Scoreboard I see Rob Orlando DNF'd anything, I heard he was disqualified after Event 1? But he somehow completed the rest of the events? If that is the case, can someone tell me how he did in those other events just to see how he'd have placed? And did he finish Event 1 after the swim or did he not do the sand runs, pull-ups, push-ups and squats?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #987
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
In the CF Games Scoreboard I see Rob Orlando DNF'd anything, I heard he was disqualified after Event 1? But he somehow completed the rest of the events? If that is the case, can someone tell me how he did in those other events just to see how he'd have placed? And did he finish Event 1 after the swim or did he not do the sand runs, pull-ups, push-ups and squats?
He DNF'd on the swim, so he didn't finish the first event I believe. He competed in the others, but did poorly. I doubt he was trying very hard since he couldn't advance anyways. There is video on the games website archive of him in the first heats of each event up until the cuts.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #988
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lantz View Post
Chris,

Were you wearing a Westside Barbell T on Saturday ?

I suspected that was you walking in front of me and wanted to ask but frankly I get a bit intimidated by a human eclipse.

I spent as much or more time chatting with people as I did watching competition.
No, that was probably my training partner Justin Tooley (he also helps at the certs). If he was with a pretty brunette that was definitely him.

Oh, and I love meeting people I know from sites, so please feel free to introduce yourself if you ever run across me.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #989
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post

To something like...

1. 85k
2. 65k
3. 50k
4. 35k
5. 25k
6. 20k
7. 15k
8. 12.5k
9. 10k
10. 7.5k

Or somewhere thereabouts. Of course, 85k vs 250k doesn't sound as good...... but at least the #4-10 athletes have something that will help them with their training for their troubles while the top 3 can still live off that.
A little extreme on the payout scale, but I'm a fan of this line of thinking. CrossFit does not find the fittest man and woman on Earth. It finds the fittest MEN and WOMEN on earth, of which one of them happens to do better on that particular weekend.

To be fair, if every top finisher of regionals got $3k, $2k, or $1k dollars then it stands to reason that the top 12 of the games can go from $3k on up. Of course, I'm liberal so I don't like telling people what to do with their money (it is still a private competition). However, I'm never afraid to offer my opinion on what's a better method of doing something.

Hey, at least this year's payout was much better overall than last year. And all of this overlooks the general feeling that all these athletes would still do this even if the top prize where still $500.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #990
Charles Applin

Profile:

deleted