CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Brandon Tribett

Profile:
I have been doing Crossfit for about 2 weeks now and love it!! This is the only program that I have done where I am excited to do my workouts. Any ways, my question is: I have been picking and choosing certain workouts that I curently have equipment for. In the past all the workouts I have done have had a sequence, mon. legs, tues. chest, wed. arms, etc. Is there a sequence to the workouts that are posted as WOD? Or Can I do any workout in any order and get the same results? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Brandon Tribett

Profile:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the exercises (WOD) are in a specific order, or if you can pick and choose through exercises? I am new to Crossfit, and am used to mon. chest, tues. legs, wed. arms, where everyday is a diffrent focus. I currently have been finding exercises that I already have the equipment for, is this going to sacrifise my results? Or can every WOD be done in any order? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Steve Yu

Profile:
I would suggest following the WOD's as closely as possible; there is a method behind the madness that will become clear to you after a while. I used to do a three-day split, similar to yours and have completely foregone it in favor of the Crossfit methodology which produces FAR better results.

FWIW
Old 11-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Ian Carver

Profile:
Welcome aboard, Brandon. The WODs are usually structured in a 3 on/1 off schedule. For the most part }they are set in a pattern of: day 1-metcon, day 2- max effort lifts, day 3-metcon, or vice versa: ME, metcon, ME. This is usually what you'll see as far as any type of pattern in CF, but randomness is the key to CF, so sometimes Coach throws a wild set of WOD's our way to keep us on our toes. The rest of CF is not patterned in any way, unlike traditional body building or weightlifting routines. You may hit some of the same muscles, albeit they may be sore, in the course of a few consecutive workouts. As has been said before, this is because in the real world there is no pattern either, and when it comes down to crunch time, the real world doesn't care if you're sore and just did pull ups yesterday - pulling yourself up and over a fence or other object may save your life or be part of your livelihood. It makes pretty good sense to me.

The WODs are generally put in this order to incorporate the various metabolic pathways of the body that allow you to train to top fitness. By following the WOD's, you are hitting each of the pathways pretty evenly without overtraining one and comprimising another. If you do too much Metcon work or ME work, you will not make the overall fitness gains possible.

Sometimes if the WOD is something I can't, or don't wish, to do that day, so I'll substitute it with another workout but balance it out in subsequent days as best as possible. I also don't always go with a 3/1 schedule. Sometimes it works out, other times I may go a day or two longer with a longer rest period between the days, it just depends on my schedule. Remember to listen to your body and not fry yourself though. Take breaks when your body's tired and come back stronger a few days later. Good luck!}
Old 11-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
You can always change up the exercises, however I think functional exercises and randomness is key. Usually the WODs take care of this. True crossfitting in my opinion is not Monday-chest, Tuesday-legs...etc...It is intense functional training with whatever is laying around either bumper plates and a great bar or a log to jump on and off of, or running around with a kettlebell or med ball. Be creative. GET SOME!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:57 PM   #6
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
I think the question is about the sequence of exercises within a WOD, e.g. if Cindy as rx is {5 pull-up, 10 mpush up and 15 squat}, could one do {15 squat, 5 pullup, 10 pushup}?

I am somewhat interested in this as well.

Thanks to all.