CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #1
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
Hi.

Are there any criteria to measure the capability for HSPU? To my newbie self it seems that one should be able to press body weight to do HSPU. Is this correct?

I can stand on hands, barely and with a wall support. But going down seems impossible. On the other hand I cannot do a single 50#DB static shoulder press.

So should I continue training with the press until I can press body weight?

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
Just tried, I can stand for about 7 secs against the wall with just feet touching, after which my butt/lower back start leaning against the wall and failing shortly after that.

I understand (just realized) that should do this every day, and will. But the HSPU - Press weight relation is still a question.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:50 AM   #3

Profile:

continue training your press, but also spend a lot of time upside down against the wall. start working on just scapular movement, i.e. shrugging your shoulders. then progress to bending the arms slightly and extending again--just as deep as you can manage. incrementally increase the depth over time. once you feel comfortable and stable, you can throw in a few full ROM negatives.

the press will help, but the HSPU is a different movement, so training it as directly as possible will develop it the most effectively.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I had great succes with the push jerk, because you can get so much weight overhead, and then lower it slowly, thus building strength that way. I'm far from a hspu though, even if I'm capable of military pressing 3/4 bw and push jerking 100% bw. Then again, I don't really train hand standing very much, which might be the reason.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 AM   #5
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
I know I've had great success coaching a HSPU to people who could not originaly hold a handstand by having them practice headstands (with their hands and head on the ground), and eventually doing the equivalent of an upsidedown push-jerk from that position... so their in a tucked headstand and WHAM, legs and arms straighten at the same time. Mimics a HSPU quite well, while allowing your legs to help you with the load.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Rafael, agree with everything above. Just my own testimony, when I first thought about hspu, I realized I needed more upside down time first. I worked up to 30 second static holds against the wall with heels only touching. Eventually when I started getting towards 60 secs I realized I had developed a nice feel for the movement and could do a HSPU with heels against the wall.

Afterwords I turned around and realized it felt slightly easier to do it with toes against the wall. After thinking about it toes against the wall allows you to more closely mimic the freestanding HSPU, so I do them that way more than heels against now.

Oh, one thing, it didn't take that long to get up to 30 sec static holds, couldn't tell you how long it actually took me, but I was surprised how fast it came, two weeks is my guess.

Aush
Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
Aha, great! Thank you all.

I somehow forgot about HSPU so was not practicing handstands. Doing cleans for CFWU helped immensely, so I am sure there will be progress with HS and HSPU too.

Greg, your suggestion makes sense and seems to be a good progression.
Daniel, I can do free headstands and that's how I thought I could stand on hands, but it was too far fetched. I never thought of bending legs to create momentum. Will try today, but feel it is too early - must become very comfortable and feel very balanced in the position first.
Aush, I can actually go down an inch with toes against the wall, but feel that the support in this case is helping the wrong way. But you're right, need to become confident in the position first.

So seems like becoming comfortable with the supported handstand is the first step. I am psyched!

Gorm, 3/4 press is awesome, for me that would be two 75# DB-s. I'll do a muscle up sooner, honestly, it feels achievable. But when I take 2 60# DB-s, feels like trying to push a building.

Anyway, I'll post the progress. Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #8
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
Sounds like you're making some progress. My only concern with doing HSPU where you start by going down an inch, then next time 2 inches, and so on is that it will become possible to lose a LOT of shoulder/bicep flexibility as you do so many reps with a limited range of motion. Just make sure to streeeeeeeeetch =)
Old 09-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Daniel, not sure about flexibility, but I agree with you, I don't think that a progression like that is necessary either.

I think once you've got a solid static hold for a minute (probably not even that long) you're more than likely going to have the strength to do a single HSPU (I could be wrong, circumstances may vary). Then you can progress from there. I don't feel like going down an inch, then 2, 3 inches, etc. should be part of the progression. But this is personal experience and I wasn't documenting what I did.

Aush
Old 09-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
Christian Hansen

Profile:
I can do a one minute static hold just heels and moments of freestanding but no way can I do a HSPU. I can do negatives but I'm a bit wary of messing up my neck by falling on my head.