CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
Is it correct ro run 10K for a non-pro person with just a 100 cal sports drink beforehand? Or it is not important and is individual?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Ian Carver

Profile:
That will most likely vary between individuals and also where you are in your level of fitness. If you are a trained endurance athlete, getting by on a powerbar and watered down sports drink may be ok for 10k. That would be as long as I would want to go with just that in me, especially under high intensity. However, if you are just getting into things and are an average athlete, you may want a bit more fast burning fuel in the tank. I would take in some solid food, a bannana, clifbar, something besides just liquid before a longer period of constant physical stress/exertion. It will help your stomach and body feel beter. I do not work out within an hour or so of eating or drinking, it places the gastric system under too much stress and can lead to nausea, gas, heartburn, etc. Be careful of straight out of the bottle sports drinks as the high sugar content can cause some stomach issues. I would either get powders to mix yourself, or simply dilute the bottled stuff with water (60/40 water).

I have found that it is something you kind of figure out for yourself as you go, insofar as the tweaks and quirks that help your body along. As your fitness increases, so does the body's ability to adapt to the stresses placed upon it and to get by on less when needed by being trained to tap into other fuel sources w/in the body. Remember this when it comes to fueling yourself in endurance events - eat before you are hungry and drink before you are thirsty -otherwise it is already too late. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Good advice Ian. It does depend on the individual. All I can add is that I know some people who's only activity is golfing a few rounds every summer and playing volleyball. All they eat and drink is the standard junkfood crap...no concerns for healthy eating at all. And they turn around and run a 5 or 10k run once or twice every summer for fun and come in with a faster time than me. Where's the justice in that?:angry: Since you are on Crossfit, you already have a head start. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Ian's right on. It definitely varies by person and you just have to try stuff out and find what works for you. When I'm training for triathlons, I regularly get up at 4am, and get on my wind trainer for a 1-2 hour ride, or hit the road for a 1 hour run with nothing to eat beforehand. I've found (through constant experimentation) that I need to eat at about the 45 minute mark, and then in 45 minute intervals. Any later and I start bonking. Any sooner and I start feeling bloated. Same goes for "energy" drinks. You also need to experiment with different types of food to find what works for you. You don't want to be out on a long run and discover that Gu/HammerGel/ClifShots/etc don't agree with you.

I'm not recommending my time frame for you or others. It's just what works for me. Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Running expends 1.7Kcal/kg/mile on average, with some modest increase in expenditure as speed increases. A 10 km run will expend about 800+ calories for most people. If you run at 65% or less of your maxium effort (think heart rate) You will use fat and your glycogen stores should be adequate for extra efforts, e.g. sprints and hills. However, if you plan to "push it" then carb loading an hour prior will help with endurance (also include adequate hydration)

Sport drinks are simple sugars and can give you a big bounce in blood glucose: first up and then rapid drop. I don't use Gatoraid until I've been pushing it hard for at least an hour, and sometimes not even then. However, eating a piece of toast 30 minutes prior to working out feels good to me.

The data for this can be found in McArdle's "Sports and Exercise Nutrion" 2005, Esp. Chapters 5 and 8.

Dan Benardot: "Advanced Sports Nutrition" 2006. Benardot encourages high Carb diets for elite endurance atheletes. e.g. 60% Carbs. He presents data showing elite atheletes are chronically under nourished, which for him means not enough carbs.

I'm coming to believe the Zone diet is appropriate for atheletes with some modification, e.g. I try to consume some kind of carb (a banana) as soon as possible after a long run. And I"m always working on hydration, esp here in Texas.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 AM   #6
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Question on the insulin spikes. Doesn't adrenaline have a blunting effect on insulin so you shouldn't experience the blood sugar crashes until after the exercise
Old 07-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #7
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Ger, I think you're right. I wasn't very clear. I meant to address this to carb intake prior to running. That's why I mentioned the bread, especially whole wheat. There's less of a glucose spike and I think the "fuel" it provides will be available longer while running.