CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
i've been following crossfit for a year now and have experienced AMAZING results. i have gained muscle. lost body fat, and am (or was) in the best shape of my life. now there is a problem...

i recently started going back to school full-time as a nursing student. i also work full-time as an EMT. i also have to make time to study, attend clinicals, and usually volunteer with my local ambulance corp. once or twice a week.

this schedule leaves very little, if any time to go to the gym, which before school started, was my main priority. i pretty much get to the gym once (twice if i'm lucky) a week, and obviosly have experienced decreases in muscle and performance, and a slight increase in bodyfat.

my question is, is there a "routine" i can follow at home. i can discipline myself to get up 30-45 minutes earlier to workout in my home, going to the gym is not an option since it will take up too much time. i have a hangboard that i can do all types of pull-ups on, and have a set of power bands, and can obviously do air & tabata squats.

this really sucks because i have busted my *** for twelve months, and have realized my potential, and am also seeing it disappear at a very alarming rate!

any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks!

scott
Old 10-13-2003, 02:30 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Scott-

Cycles of HSPU, PU, MU (got rings?) box jumps, car pushing...DB swings ($30 for ~ 55lbs), walking lunges, punching bag. Just have to be creative and use good time management.

Let me know what you come up with.
Robb
Old 10-13-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
Gary

Profile:

Scott,

I've gone through the same thing. In fact I'm there now with working full time and doing graduate work.

I found out 4-5 years ago that I could in fact get up at 5:00 and get in a decent workout. I tried the gym thing but got tired of waiting in line to do squats, etc. I gradually built up my own garage gym starting with a pair of DBs, jump rope, and a box for step ups and box jumps. I also could do PUs, lunges, DB snatches, etc.

I now have all the above plus Jump Stretch bands, kettlebells, two pair of home made Club Bells, home made parallettes, plus 45# of OL weights and rack. I just added as my interest and needs grew. I still need some way to do Pullups and dips but I'm getting there.

I also found that I had to schedule that time just like the rest of the daily activities or it just wouldn't happen. Keeping a log helps - especially as a reminder if you're keeping up with that responsibility to yourself.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Gary
Old 10-14-2003, 07:32 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I'm a student and too poor to go to the gym all the time, so I go to the gym twice a week and train at home for the rest of the week. I have a skipping rope, dumbells, a chin up bar and i sling a couple of judo belts over that for dips, and I have a big room for floor gymnastics and use a few thick books for L-holds until I make/buy parrelletes, I also practice the weightlifting movements with the chin up bar. The only thing the gym can provide me with which I don't have access to is a rower and heavier weights. But if you're this busy and beginning to gain fat maybe you should look at your diet or look for a way of incoperating excersise and your work, you have breaks don't you?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
Scott Parker

Profile:
graham-

thanks for the suggestions. i'm not gaining fat really (i've gone from 5.5% bf to like 7-7.5% bf, so it isn't really anything dramatic), and i still keep a fairly strict paleo diet.

as far as breaks go, i usually don't even have time to sit down and eat lunch, let alone take a break to workout. but i guess lifting people who weigh 350 lbs throught out the day should count for something!

scott
Old 10-15-2003, 02:37 PM   #6
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
Try doing burpees(squat thrust followed by a squat jump).Burpees build explosiveness and strength in the hips and legs and when done vigorously, really tax the anaerobic system.For the home trainer, a circuit of burpees, pull-ups and dips (or plyometric push-ups) works great for strength, power, and conditioning the entire body.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:32 AM   #7
Scott Parker

Profile:
just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions!

since my initial post i have been doing a lot of HSPU's, pull-ups, push-ups, air squats, and hang cleans to push-presses with dumbells (actually with only one dumbell, one side at a time because that's all my finances will allow right now!)

thanks again!

scott
Old 10-27-2003, 11:36 AM   #8
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
Scott,

My suggestion is also to be creative, but I want to tell you that I am very busy too, and what has worked for me is to go early in the morning. This gets the WOD out of the way for the day. You know; you won't be able to say that you are to tired to workout because you have allready done the WOD. In addition to working out first thing in the AM, I also "sporadically" workout throughout the day or "Grease the Groove". Also, I think working out first thing burns more fat but I am sure that Coach or Robb could tell you more about that.

I hope that I have helped.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
Scott Parker

Profile:
jeff-

thanks for the advice. i've been trying to get up a little earlier to workout but it's been tough! i'm usually up until about 12 or 1:00am studying, and then i'm back up at 6:30 because i either have to be at clinical or class, or i have a 12 hour shift on the ambulance and to me that's a full day's workout because more often than not your lifting and transferring patients who weigh a lot. 350 lbs. is not uncommon!

i've actually found that if i workout late afternoon, early evening it actually gives me a little extra energy for nighttime studying! whatever works i guess!

all i have at home right now is a 35lb. dumbell and a hangboard (used for pull-ups and grip strength for climbing, and i also hang from it with my ice axes and do pull-ups!). it's funny, but the space i workout in is in a room about 8' x 15' or so, and it has a desk, full-size couch, a loung chair, and a stand with a t.v. and sterero on it, leaving me with a space of about 4 x 7 of usable space and i still manage to get my *** kicked!

i've checked through this month's WOD's and with the very limited amount of equipment that i have (i will be making parallettes very soon) i can actually do 7 of the workouts in my apartment! i'm not trying to say that i am able to get as much of a well-rounded workout as i could when i had time to go to the gym, but hey, it's better than nothing and now i have no excuse!

thanks!

scott
Old 10-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #10
Graham Hayes

Profile:
It does seem surprising that you can get some of the best workouts in your bedroom with limited equipment and space. I recently read Dinosaur Training and the author spoke about Jon Davis who is a multi world and olympic weightlifting champion who did all his training in the basement of a church and stayed away from gyms! A good example for people who can't make it to the gym!