CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #21
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
One thing I would like to point out to Rafael, I started off like you. And my 40 minute workouts were giving me progress. But when I started to do it the way I do now -- my progress exploded.

As far as doing the movements fast -- learn the form, practice and be patient. The speed and coordination will come.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
As to the 20 minute rule, I just kind of picked this number from what I have read on the CF site but I recently found this tidbit here, for what it is worth:

http://www.mikemahler.com/wong2.html

"DW: Ken Cooper (who used to advocate marathons until his running patients began to die off) has found that the heart stops conditioning at around abut 24 to 26 min. of work! Exercise beyond that point no longer strengthens the heart but contributes to the inflammatory process. He now says that anything over 3 miles 3 times a week or it's equivalent is "done for reasons other than fitness". So much for getting on a treadmill or stair climber for an hour! One note: with seniors we now know that they will condition at only 50% of max h.r."
Old 08-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #23
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
OK, great. Thank you so much, Matthew! I also read some older CFJ issues which helped a lot.

I actually gave it a try doing Elizabeth and understand much better now that there is a related experience.
Precalculating a target based on an accepted benchmark is an excellent idea and a missing link for me.
And I now get the ego part too, it was so hard putting an aid on :-)

Best of everything to all!

P.S. Ordered some more back issues of CFJ - very instrumental in understanding this system.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #24
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I'm far from an expert but I'm gonna write about what I'm doing anyway because I've gotten awesome results in a short period of time.

I definitely have to scale because I can't really lift anything close to rx'ed weights yet, but I tend to scale more if something is for time (assuming that I'm supposed to get some cardio out of it) and scale less if it's one of the 20-min WODs where you are trying to see how many rounds you can get in.

I also go to brand-x and use a lot of their scale-down recommendations or create my own based on the same principles. I've noticed they tend to keep the cardio (rowing, etc.) at the same distance for circuits (i.e. unless it's ridiculous) so I try to do that.

I think it's possible to scale down enough that you can get good cardio but still use weight that is heavy enough to be challenging but light enough to not sacrifice form.

I did Candy as rx'ed (well, except using assisted pullups) and it took me 53 minutes and my form was ridiculous by the last two rounds and I decided that'd be the last time I sacrificed form as much as I did in order to do something as rx'ed.