CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #11
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Re: First crossfit day...met a lady named Fran

Welcome to the party!

Congratulations on Fran. You were wise to scale it. I bet you'll love her the next time around...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #12
Doug Vincent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza Besic View Post
From what you describe it sounds like your activity level is based on how far the distance from your house to your car to your office chair is.
Actually it's funny you say that, because I thought I was in pretty descent shape I mountain bike raced all summer (and was actually placing in my class)and usually get out ski/mountaineering 3X/week (in which I climb around 3-4K in vertical, then ski down). I'm used to my body getting pushed in a way where my HR is in the 90-95% range (when racing) or in a solid 80% range when climbing/skiing. I also ran 3X a week all summer ontop of the mtb racing.

Then there is what I have done in the last 5 years with weight training...ZERO.

Quote:
Well, it's tomorrow Doug, how are you feeling?
Well, my legs are alright for the most part. Can walk normal. I can feel an ache when going up and down steps, but it isn't a bad one. Much better than last night after the workout. All those peaks I've climbed must have been good for something. The arms...well, that is another story. I can't straighten them without quite a bit of pain. My biceps must have gotten worked somehow because this is the type of pain I remember from really hard bicep workouts back when I did weight train.

Quote:
Don't reduce weight just to finish unbroken sets. If that's what we were waiting for, most of us would be scaling Fran unnecessarily.
I never dropped the weight, and I did finish all sets...just had to take a break near the end before finishing them....So are you saying I should stay at this weight then? I was going to drop maybe 10lbs off the thrusters is all, but if that is inappropriate, then I will give fran a go with the same weight next time.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Welcome to CF. I'm in the middle of the the 5th week as a newbie. I'm here to tell you that scaling is much safer than trying to bite off the whole elephant. You don't want to be too sore you can't stay with it. Breaking up the sets sounds like a humane way of doing it.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #14
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

Doug-

Welcome to the CF revolution. I remember my first workout fondly because it almost killed me and I thought I was scaling it back. Little did I know then what it took to do Rx'd workouts and that I shouldn't be afraid of looking bad because I was scaling.

You don't need to do all 21, 15, or 9 in a row. In fact unless you really are a monster like Greg Amundson, you may not be able to do 21 in a row every time you go up weight to get closer to the Rx'd 95#s and will find yourself putting down the bar for 10 or 15 seconds as needed. When I did Fran last night, my sets broke into 11/10, 5/5/5, 5/4 for Thrusters and 11/5/5, 5/5/3/2, 5/2/1/1 for Pull-ups. Does this mean I'm at too much weight? Not really, since my time was just over 10 minutes (I just moved up to doing it at 95#s Rx'd). It just means I still have room for improvement both in time and consistency (especially on my pull-ups). Next time Fran comes around, try it at the same weight and see if you can bring the time down to 6-8 minutes and then start thinking about upping the weight/removing the assist.

Chris Hill-

My legs felt better after doing Fran than they did before. The DOMS from the 400M lunges had me ruined for 2 days, but once I started Fran I didn't look back and I'm walking better today than I was yesterday, though my legs won't be normal for a few more days yet... though with Badger tonight it may be even longer of a weight for normalcy now.

-TripMN M/27/5'9"/165