CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
Hello.
What is the diameter of the average rope? Also, what is the recommended diameter range?

I cannot afford a rope but thought that hanging PVC pipe from a tree could do - thread an old climbing rope through 2 or 3 sections of a plastic pipe. I have climbed a rope before and think that towel pull-ups, though harder, are not the same thing.

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Michael Stehle

Profile:
Usually 1 1/2 " or 2". I've also seen thinner. It's good to vary thickness for different grip challenges. I bet the pvc will be more challanging due to the slick surface.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Cullen Foresman

Profile:
I've been considering hanging a length of roughed up 1 1/2" pvc too. I can't really manage to bring home a pipe longer than 10ft, so Im planing on using a 10 ft piece on top and a 6 or 7 foot beneath it, so if the solvent weld breaks I at least wont be falling very far. I doubt it would break though, pvc cement/primer creates rather strong joints.

I've been climbing a small sturdy flag pole by my house so far though, and thats been working decently.

Anyone have experience with making a pvc climbing "rope" like this?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
OK, the pipe idea worked. I used 1" white pipe - SCH 40 - because it was cheaper. The outside diameter is 1.25+ inches. I hung, i.e. dripped over a stretchy rope from a tree branch, then fed both ends through 2 pipes - 10' and 6', tying a large knot at the end.

Well, Mike Stehle was correct, it is too slippery for me. So I wrapped some athletic tape around, and after running out, some rubber tape. Sure glad for the rubber, could not have climbed the entire thing without it (still not finished because ran out of tape).

Suggestions:
1. The white pipe seems to come in 1" and 1.5" diameters which is the internal diameter. But the electric conduit does come in 1.25 inch size, which is better than 1.5. Also the conduit has the ends such that pipes can be joined with less hassle.
2. Do join the pipes solid to prevent from fingers being pinched.
3. Better off using static, non-stretchy rope like that yellow one at the hardware store. For a larger diameter pipe use a piece of 2x4 to tie the ends of the rope.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Norm Rager

Profile:
Raphael,

be careful not to expose the sch 40 to sunlight/UV as it will become very brittle and splinter over time - in a matter of days/weeks in some climates.expossure to freezing/thawing temps will do the same. It wouldn't take much flex in the middle of on of the lengths to cause a pretty nasty break. SCH 80 (black pipe) is better suited, but will do the same eventually. It's also more expensive.