CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Non-False Grip Muscle Ups?

Gabe, at CrossFitMarin, an ex L9/10 gymnast who is in his teens just preferred to not use a falsegrip. More than likely it's because he didn't find it comfortable and it just gets annoying. It didn't really affect him in the Norcal Qualifier in 09 as he still crushed them.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Please Please Please learn the false grip before attempting muscle ups. It makes it a heck of a lot easier than trying the other way(i dont even recommend the other way unless your real advanced). Plus it doesn't require a major kip(if at all) to complete one.

Anyone with some decent pullup and dip strength can master the false grip in a few sessions. Just practice it!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xi Xia View Post
After watching the Games this year, it is clear that having the ability to do non-false grip kipping muscle ups was crucial for the Snatch-Muscle up event. So, since all those competitors/HQ trainers were racking them out, is there a video tutorial on it?

I just started practicing them and need help with the quick transition into the dip position. It feels harder with the lack of the false grip...or probably cause it feels like a whole new challenge again!

I can do strict muscle ups on a bar or rings with the false grip. But this kipping one eludes me. Any tips?
When you're "weightless" you loosen your grip and flip your wrists up... that's all there is to it honestly
Old 05-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
When you're "weightless" you loosen your grip and flip your wrists up... that's all there is to it honestly
Augh, I wish it was this easy for me...!!!

I have a deadhang false grip, but I am still trying to figure out the body position for the non-false grip / kipping...

I am gonna keep working; I have been getting a slight assist through the movement by my friend Dana and I think I am close, but just that... close!!!

Hum... I just thought about this. Maybe I should work some jumping non-false grip to be more comfortable with the movement!! Worked so well when I was learning false-grip. I know the kip changes your attack angle a bit, but I think its a comfort issue...

wow, thanks for the idea!!

Karin
Old 05-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Honestly, people should work on developing strict muscle ups.

ONce you have a strict MU kipping is much easier and you can do whatever you want because you have good technique.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #16
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Honestly, people should work on developing strict muscle ups.

ONce you have a strict MU kipping is much easier and you can do whatever you want because you have good technique.
I have those (with a false grip), but I think I just freak out when I add a big swing messing the whole thing up...

I think you are saying get them strict without the false grip and go from there!? Seems like a plan!

Karin
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin Jonczak View Post
I have those (with a false grip), but I think I just freak out when I add a big swing messing the whole thing up...

I think you are saying get them strict without the false grip and go from there!? Seems like a plan!

Karin
That would be useful too if you can do that.

Practice with smaller swings if bigger swings freak you out as well. You can always build them bigger later.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #18
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
That would be useful too if you can do that.

Practice with smaller swings if bigger swings freak you out as well. You can always build them bigger later.
Good advice. I hit one with a small swing (almost none) and think that is a good focus for me.

When I think about swinging the MU goes out the window!!

I may try to get some video so I can see where it is going wrong. No one has really been able to ID it at the gym yet. Just not enough experience.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I used to have trouble same as you. I switched styles because I got tired of ripping huge quarter inch sized patches of skin off my wrists and not being able to clean and do anything that bent the wrist for a week after. I had a lot of trouble with the transition and still am not nearly as good at them as I used to be after months of practice. The downside is now I've also lost my flexibility to do false grip effectively for multiple reps with a full turnout; used to be boss at that. Think long and hard about why you want to switch especially if you're already good at them like I was. These tutorials by Paoli helped a lot. Scroll down the page a little bit, there's 4 parts.

http://gymnasticswod.com/search/node/muscle%20up (WFS)

Now a question for Steven: I'm getting flippin frustrated with no false grip, I just can't do more than 5, and in a WOD I end up doing them in 2's after a while. They used to be a huge strength of mine. I'm really considering going back to false grip cause it'll just take some flexbility and wrist strength work to get the turnout again. I'm heavier now so I'll probably be more likely to rip my wrists open which keeps me from going back. I've tried taping and it just makes my grip slippery so I can't hold it; same thing with gymnastics grips (I actually couldn't even hold a false grip with those bulky grips). When you're doing false grip should you be using the friction of you're wrist to help you hold it? Or should you ideally be so flexible that you're going to be holding on entirely with you're forearm strength thus taking the pressure off the skin in that area? I would like to transition back but I just remember how much it sucked to rip my wrists open.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
Mark Martinez

Profile:

I usually lost the false grip when repping out muscle-ups. Just switched to regular grip eventually for high-rep kipping muscle-ups. People should definitely keep working on strict false-grip first as a progression.