CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Casey Leonard

Profile:
Affiliate owners give your opinion....

Just wanted some feedback from you affiliate owners out there....
so here's a scenario and I want you to give me your honest opinion on what your reaction would be to it.

You operate a small CF box that has been around for less than a year. A few of your members routinely travel to another state and workout at a box thats been around longer and is more established.

During one of the group WOD's they come in with shirts from that gym and a camera...taking pictures and video of the WOD.

The next day you see posted online what looks to be a promo video for that out of state gym (up close stills of the members wearing the other boxes shirts, doing the WOD, etc.) The theme and focus is making sure you see that other boxes name throughout. The other members taking part in the workout are in about 25% of the video.

...at the very end your box gets a plug with a picture of your sign for 3 seconds.

Thoughts on this? Whats your response?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Chris Cooper

Profile:
Re: Affiliate owners give your opinion....

Call them?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Tyler Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cooper View Post
Call them?
Agree. +1
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Completely out of line without permission of the box owner. Why wouldn't they make a video in their own box?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Casey Leonard

Profile:

Already messaged back and forth about it, just wanted some outside feedback.

The reason given was that our box didnt have shirts available yet and they wanted to represent CrossFit...which Im cool, but how about spreading the love if your gonna make a video with another gyms shirts featured all through it

And I honestly wouldn't have cared either way as long as it had been done to help promote our box alittle better...throw our website and number in at the beginning or something...
Old 07-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Casey Leonard

Profile:

Just found a link to the vid.... check it out and let me know if Im way off base here or not.
I really like the video too...just wish it didnt look like it was made for another box, haha.

http://animoto.com/play/Ospy0xsTMiUoOHTb8dQxvw
Old 07-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Edit:snip looks like you already addressed that it wasn't instigated by the other box.
If the members just decided to do this on their own (I don't see this video anywhere on the other affiliate's website) and happened to wear the other affiliate's shirt when videoing their own workout, perhaps they get a taste of video'd workouts at the other affiliate and felt exicted by it, opting to do something on their own at your box. Do you do photos/video of workouts to share regularly?
If neither of these, well then it's just a bit weird either way, but as far as I can tell you guys aren't even in the same region, so its not like they are competing for business with you or trying to draw away your clients.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Eh. After watching the video it doesn't look so bad. It just looks like a bunch of people who wanted to make a cool CF vid and wanted to wear some CF Ts while doing it. I mean honestly I can't even tell what that shirt says other than the crossfit part. And this could have just as easily been an add for Nike Frees as it is for a CF gym. They seem to be spotlighted almost as much in that video

Anyways, it really doesn't look like a deliberate attempt at marketing to me, for what it's worth.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Alex Keller

Profile:

So you are CrossFit 10, right? Honestly, I agree that the shirts draw my attention more than your few seconds at the end. If you would consider the other box a competitor AND the individuals who shot the video are not paying members of your box, I would say you are justifiably upset.

HOWEVER, if they are not advertising the video on a local website or using it to drive traffic to the other box, I would say there is very little harm. And it's not hard to put a title page on the video that says "Thank you to Crossfit ___ for use of their top notch gear and facility!"

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Casey Leonard

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it....

When the video was posted on facebook it was labeled as "...Person 1 & Person 2 representin CrossFit IQ" (which is not us) so I kinda felt the intent was there from the beginning...

The member who made it is really creative and good at what she does and has made a video for us in the past...Ive asked her to help us out with making more of them and promote our box but unfortunately this was the only other project that she did...which wasn't ideal given our second and a half plug at the end.

When I inquired about the video to her and the other members repping the shirts, I was met with some borderline hostile responses....mainly that them wearing the shirts and the camera being there that day were coincidence and that statements like, "your to blame for not having CF Greensburg merchandise"..."your not going to lose any business to that box, so whats the problem"...just sorta condescending remarks I thought.

...definitely didn't expect that type of response. I made it clear that it wasnt about the shirts but the video content that swayed towards promoting another gym and not giving us any proper credit or plug for our/their gym in the process...

It was a small incident that coulda been avoided with alittle communication and some common sense in my opinion...but with the responses I received on it Im thinking I may have to start "pulling weeds" at our place.

Once again, I appreciate the feedback on it....