CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Scott Carter

Profile:
Pulled neck / back muscle working handstand

I've been working on my handstands, with the goal of getting a full depth HSPU. During work every hour on the hour I hold a handstand for a total of 1 minute, trying to work my way up to several minutes. Saturday, I went to do a handstand hold, and I went from looking at the floor between my hands and rotated my head so I was looking straight ahead. When I did this, I felt something go in my neck. It feels like it is probably a pull between my spine and my shoulder blade. Pain is bearable, but hurts most when I look down or tilt my head to the right side.

I know I'll be taking it easy for awhile now, but does anyone have any suggestions of warm-up exercises, or stretches that will help prevent this from happening in the future?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Pulled neck / back muscle working handstand

probably supraspinatus or rhomboid. I have something pulled in that region in my left and my right pulls every once in awhile ( due to the right being out of place structurally ).

Look towards that possibly, as mine reoccurs somewhat frequently and I was wondering about it till I had it looked at.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
Adam Noble

Profile:

I get the same thing from time to time grappling. It usually goes away on its own. I have tried all sorts of stretching and massage, but once it happens nothing but rest and laying off it helps, at least for me. YMMV. Anyone with a better idea please share it. This isn't what I would call a regular occurrence, but once or twice a year I lose a couple days.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Make foam roller your best warm up buddy. It works wonders.