CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Erik Stone

Profile:
Bumper plate?

I can get a good deal on some Hampton 45's and 10's and was wondering if you can mix bumper plates with regular iron plates? Can you use 10's or 45's as bumpers and regular iron plates of smaller size instead of using all bumpers? :thanx
Old 01-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Bumper plate?

I think the rule is at least half the weight in bumper plates, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

I used to own a set of Hampton bumpers and after a while I was sorry I bought them. The hubs were entirely too thin and the paint flaked all over the place. What I thought was a bargain ended up being quite expensive as I eventually sold them for less than half what I paid. I bought some Eleiko training bumpers instead.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Ben Chapman

Profile:

I've seen it done, never with more than like 10lbs though
Old 01-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

IMO, and thats all it is because I don't own bumpers, and have never worked with bumpers, but I sure liked the look of those Kraiburgs on Dec 30ths video, does anyone have first hand experience with the quality of those
Old 01-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

If those Kraiburgs are the same as the old RB bumpers, they're great for training plates. Only downfall is that the 20k and 25k bumpers are pretty thick, so loading them on for the real heavyweights fills the sleeve pretty quick.

Not that I've ever had the opportunity to load up the bar like that.

Last edited by Veronica Carpenter; 01-06-2008 at 12:56 AM..
Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
John Vivian

Profile:

We use both Kraiberg and York and have had no problems with either. i believe they come from the same manufacturer overseas with the only difference being the branding (name) that is put on them. i have also seen "generic" versions of the same plates (no branding).

As for mixing bumpers and metal plates, we do this often. There are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, the diameter of the metal plates must be less than that of the bumpers; you do not want the metal hitting the floor when you drop. Second, make sure that the bumpers you have on the bar are as heavy or heavier than the metal plates, or at least that the bumpers are not so thin that they bend (10lbs plates are pretty flexible and bend easily). i would not, for example, put 10lbs bumpers on with 35lbs metal plates. Because we have enough bumpers at our place, though, we only have 2.5lbs and 5lbs metal plates so none of this is an issue for us.

Hope this helps.

john
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Well I can't imagine that any bumper plate by any manufacturer would be so thick as to prevent loading up a bar with 4-500 lbs or more if need be for a max lift, or would I be wrong?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Exactly what is meant by training plates? Is this some type of term that means it can't be used in an official competition, or does it imply a lower quality of bumper, Should I avoid training plates when it comes to heavy lifts, and go with something more high quality, or will it more than serve the purpose of WOD's. Keep in mind that I've only been doing WOD's for 5 weeks and my crossfit total is 800. I was a powerlifter in high school (mostly bench, squat, deadlift) so I can get to where I'll be able to push some pretty good weight. I believe that I'll be squatting and DL'ing over 400 by the end of the year if not sooner. I put muscle on quick when working with weights. I initially started crossfit in the hopes of losing body weight and slimming, but I've actually gained in body weight due to alot of the lifting I'd guess. I am losing body fat however (my guess) as im losing inches in my waistline.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
Exactly what is meant by training plates? Is this some type of term that means it can't be used in an official competition, or does it imply a lower quality of bumper, Should I avoid training plates when it comes to heavy lifts, and go with something more high quality, or will it more than serve the purpose of WOD's. Keep in mind that I've only been doing WOD's for 5 weeks and my crossfit total is 800. I was a powerlifter in high school (mostly bench, squat, deadlift) so I can get to where I'll be able to push some pretty good weight. I believe that I'll be squatting and DL'ing over 400 by the end of the year if not sooner. I put muscle on quick when working with weights. I initially started crossfit in the hopes of losing body weight and slimming, but I've actually gained in body weight due to alot of the lifting I'd guess. I am losing body fat however (my guess) as im losing inches in my waistline.
By "training plate" yes, I mean bumpers for training and not certified for competition. Are they lower in quality? Well some "official" comp plates could possibly be lower in quality than some training bumpers. I'd stay away from Ivanko plates, period. Training bumpers are fine for heavy lifts.

As far as losing weight on crossfit, if you're not consuming adequate calories to build muscle, you're not likely to add more. So, you might want to look at your total food intake if you seriously want to cut weight.